Are the Sony MDR CD780 headphones SURROUND? And if not... what are good surround cans
Aug 4, 2004 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GreenFloyd

Head-Fier
Are they?

What are some of the best mid-range in terms of price phones I can get? I want surround and comfortable
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenFloyd
Are they?

What are some of the best mid-range in terms of price phones I can get? I want surround and comfortable
biggrin.gif

Not sure what "mid-range" price for you, but Pioneer's SE-DIR800C is a very good surround (not 5.1ch but Dolby Headphone) headphone system.

Aug 5, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 13
Do surround-sound headphones really even sound much difference than nice stereo headphones? Is there much of a difference, or is it really just a gimmick?

Oh, and how do you listen to headphones and speakers at the same time? I think I pulled it off once, but I don't remember how I did it.

Aug 5, 2004 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenFloyd
Do surround-sound headphones really even sound much difference than nice stereo headphones? Is there much of a difference, or is it really just a gimmick?

Oh, and how do you listen to headphones and speakers at the same time? I think I pulled it off once, but I don't remember how I did it.

Gimmick, and turn the stereo up
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 13
Frankly, if you have any sort of decent headphones with even remotely decent soundstage, you'll get better surround out of that than the fake sounding faux surround creatin' "surround" headphones. The 780s should have fairly decent soundstage if the lower ended 580s are anything to go by.

Aug 6, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 13
Glad to see another CD580 fan. I'm a massive CD580 and CD780 fan (I have both). They have very different sound signatures, BTW. The CD580 is more like the V6; the CD780 is more like the A900 / CD3000. Soundstage on both the C580 and CD780 is quite good, IMHO.
280smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
Frankly, if you have any sort of decent headphones with even remotely decent soundstage, you'll get better surround out of that than the fake sounding faux surround creatin' "surround" headphones. The 780s should have fairly decent soundstage if the lower ended 580s are anything to go by.

Aug 16, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 13
Dolby Headphone is quite good, and is a fine substitute for a 5.1 setup (late night listening, apartments, etc).

I highly recommend people check out the Pioneer setup that Takashi recommended. I own a pair and I don't see how I ever did without them.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back