Are the shure srh940's a good choice for music producer?
Mar 14, 2012 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheMonster

New Head-Fier
So i've been looking into the shure srh940's and need help to know whether i am making a good choice. I'm going to be producing on the maschine and need to know a few things before i go ahead and buy.

-How power hungry are they (will a pa2v2 or Fiio 10 do the job)
-How analytical are they, I need to know if I can listen to a poorly mastered album and still have an enjoyable expirience
-Are there any other better choices in the 200-300 price range ( i can go a little further)
- Is there anything really important that i may need to know.
Thanks

Music taste: Double Fantasy,My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,Black Radio (Robert Glasper),Undun,Space Oddity, Ray Charles etc.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 4
Sometimes analytical headphones are not the most rewarding to listen to for enjoyment. Especially on poorly mastered albums. You will notice the mistakes and it will bother you. For instance, on Say Anything's new album "Anarchy, My Dear" there is 60 cycle hum at the beginning of one of one of the tracks... I don't remember which, but it bothers me that they missed that.

Edit: The 940s are 42 ohms. They do not NEED an amp to adequately power them, but the Fiio 10 has more than enough power and will deliver a cleaner sound than say an iPod.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
-How analytical are they, I need to know if I can listen to a poorly mastered album and still have an enjoyable expirience

If they are analytical, I  think it's a bit restricted to the treble range.
They became more analytical for mediums, once I've modded them (by increasing depth of ear cups).
From what I 've understood the srh940 has one of the best treble for a sub 500$ headphone , and it's their main selling point.

If you are tracking background  noise on every recording I  think the srh940 are perfect
rolleyes.gif
But also for  fast music,  just like psytrance.
When compared to the hd25 II , It was difficult to decide on which headphone I  liked listening "infected mushroom" the best:
- on the the srh940 it was a delight to hear lot of  details, and some kind of sounds alive and very dynamic , "moving in the space".
- on the hd25 II, there's a lot of fun in the bass region, that I  was missing with the srh940.

Perhaps the DT880  are a better choice (I  didn't try them) but from what I've understood they are detailed, and do not lack bass.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
So i've been looking into the shure srh940's and need help to know whether i am making a good choice. I'm going to be producing on the maschine and need to know a few things before i go ahead and buy.

-How power hungry are they (will a pa2v2 or Fiio 10 do the job)
-Are there any other better choices in the 200-300 price range ( i can go a little further)
- Is there anything really important that i may need to know.
Thanks

Music taste: Double Fantasy,My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,Black Radio (Robert Glasper),Undun,Space Oddity, Ray Charles etc.

Heya,

They're very analytical. Not good for every genre, with their very shy bass. Possibly good for producing, but not for mastering. They are not power hungry at all.

Other choices I would suggest: Beyer DT250, AKG K271 MKII, KRK KNS8400, GMP 8.35.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back