Are the Shure SE215s the best bang for my buck?
Oct 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

comicguy5

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for the best headphones for under $150. I've been looking around and I'm set on getting the Shure SE215s but before I make my purchase I wanna know if there are any other options for that price range that might be better than those.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 19
I think the UE700's sound cleaning and have better treble.  They run for $149.  The Shure SE215 are built more sturdy.  I think either of those are going to great buys for you.

Here is one warning on the Shures:

"These have a huge Achilles' heel. I have to admit, these cans are built like tanks but there is a huge flaw in the construction, a wire soldered to the middle pin to where the detachable cable connects in these cans will snap if you spin the can, it will spin the middle pin with it and twist the wire inside the can until it snaps. 99$ down the drain for something like this."
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-se215.php

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #3 of 19
The Etymotic HF5 (highely recommended) shows great details in mids, offers clear extended highs with good bass response. The others IEMs like EX600(highely recommended), UE TF10 Pro, DBA-02, HJE900 and Radius DDM are recommended.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
I think the UE700's sound cleaning and have better treble.  They run for $149.  The Shure SE215 are built more sturdy.  I think either of those are going to great buys for you.

Here is one warning on the Shures:

"These have a huge Achilles' heel. I have to admit, these cans are built like tanks but there is a huge flaw in the construction, a wire soldered to the middle pin to where the detachable cable connects in these cans will snap if you spin the can, it will spin the middle pin with it and twist the wire inside the can until it snaps. 99$ down the drain for something like this."
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/shure-se215.php

True. But Shure will quickly replace your set under their 2-year warranty. That gives a whole lot of peace of mind IMO

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 19
what are yoou looking for in an IEM?

The SE215 has good bass slam but lacks some detail, the midrange is forward and their best feature, the treble is never fatiguing but can be considered dull depending on what your used to.

For that price range at the highest end I would say VSonic GR07 will have much better sound quality in all areas and is THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK as they sound as good as $400 IEM's in my opinion. But they are right on the cusp of the high end of your price range.

If you live in the US you can also look at the Sony EX600 which can be found online for under $150.

Finally from the reviews of members like Shotgunshane, Inks and others, the JVC FXT90 looks to be a solid contender as well and it can be had for about $115 to $150 on Ebay. It actually looks to be VERY INTERESTING enough so I am eagerly waiting an opportunity to hear a pair.

Comfort wise I think the GR07 and the FXT90 will be your best bet.

If extreme isolation is needed though the SE215 will be better than all the IEM's I mentioned so may still be a better choice in that case.

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for the recommendations guys but I was looking for something closer to $100. I'm going to be using them mostly for on-the-go listening and occasionaly in quiet rooms (I am in college). I would prefer that they have nice clarity and detail while not skimping on the bass. Perhaps the Sennheiser ie6s would be a better choice? I hear that their bass improves after a long burn-in.

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations guys but I was looking for something closer to $100. I'm going to be using them mostly for on-the-go listening and occasionaly in quiet rooms (I am in college). I would prefer that they have nice clarity and detail while not skimping on the bass. Perhaps the Sennheiser ie6s would be a better choice? I hear that their bass improves after a long burn-in.

If you really want something good...i know its 50% over budget but the TFTA's beat anything I've ever heard @ $150.

@$100...i think people will suggest the RE-O, possibly the senns you said, JVC's...
I personally couldn't say @ that price.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
If you really want something good...i know its 50% over budget but the TFTA's beat anything I've ever heard @ $150.

@$100...i think people will suggest the RE-O, possibly the senns you said, JVC's...
I personally couldn't say @ that price.

I Googled "TFTA headphones" but I couldn't find anywhere to buy them, could you please direct me to a website I could buy them from? The exact URL would be nice.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 19
Here are the JVC FXT90 for $115 on Ebay. They are closer to your $100 price tag and from what I have read they will certainly sound good.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 19
Ahh then I don't blame you for your hesitancy. The next best place to get them is from accessoryjack but they are a bit more money (although shipping is $10 cheaper but they are Hong Kong based so you may have a similar hesitancy).

OK so lets step back and reload. What are you wanting from your headphone?

List these things:

Music genres use listen to
Sound signature preference (if you know what you like, otherwise people can use your genre's to help narrow choices for you)
Isolation level
Over ear hang from ear preference
Comfort
Build quality
Features like iphone controls etc.
Where you are comfortable buying from geographically speaking or do you want to use a physical store versus online.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 19
I've looked at all of your recommendations and right now I am leaning pretty heavily on the Sennheiser ie6s. Although I've read that their paintjob comes off fairly easily and the housing may come apart, they seem like they have excellent sound quality and are pretty comfortable and that's what I'm looking for. Any other input?

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 19
Just be careful buying online as fakes abound for Sennheiser products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back