Are the RSA amps too much for what I need? (Are there better options for me?)
Dec 11, 2008 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Solid Snake

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am on the hunt for a portable amp to go along with my Westone 3.

I will also get some headphones like the Ultrasone 750 or the DT 770/80 version so versatility is really important. I keep hearing that the new RSA SR-71A can drive not only drive demanding headphone like the HD 650 but IEMs at ease.

I mainly listen to electronica (techno, trance, dance, house) and rock.

I am wondering if the RSA amp is too much for what I need. I am looking for a really punchy but tight bass and I heard Ray's amps does this well. Even though many people recommend cold and bright sound signature for electronica, I really would prefer a warmer sound because my ears are super sensitive to treble.

The majority of my music files are 320kbps mp3 and they go as low as 128kbps. A good number of my music are apple lossless also.

They will be mostly used at home moving around with me.

I do not really care about battery life as long as they would last around 4 or 5 at least during each use.

Budget is $500 or less...Thanks

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 21
Having a really good portable amp can reveal issues with low bitrate mp3s but then again so should your Westone 3s unamped I believe (depending on what your DAP source is).

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 21
With a budget like that, I can't really recommend against a RSA amp. An SR71A (if you can find one) would be a great option from what I have read about it.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 21
Having a really good portable amp can reveal issues with low bitrate mp3s but then again so should your Westone 3s unamped I believe (depending on what your DAP source is).

I disagree. It sounds like a good portion of your music is recorded at an exceptionally high bit rate. I think a good amp would definetly be a must have for your system. The SR-71a can handle everything you describe and more (this will be particularly important if you decide to change headphones later on. You won't have to upgrade the amp)

The RSA products are good, but a bit pricey. Especially considering the relatively poor after sale support that I've received.

I don't doubt Reefwalker's experience, but Ray is a well known supplier here at head-fi and has a truly exceptional reputation for quality products and SUPERIOR service. I've bought from Ray 3 times, always with outstanding customer service. Also, I've written to him personally for various advice and he always responds with his thoughts (he certainly doesn't need to do that but that's the kind of guy that he is).

I think your biggest issue will be finding an SR-71a as Ray has run out of parts to make new ones. Good luck.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I forgot to include that in:

Its the 6G iPod Classic 120gb

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 21
I'm finding my RSA SR-71A perfect for listening to electronica. You won't regret getting a RSA amp for your current setup.

Unfortunately, Ray has run out of parts for new SR-71A, so if you find an used one being sold, don't hesitate, especially with your budget.

People are getting very happy with the Mustang as well, so you might want to take a look at that.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm finding my RSA SR-71A perfect for listening to electronica. You won't regret getting a RSA amp for your current setup.

Unfortunately, Ray has run out of parts for new SR-71A, so if you find an used one being sold, don't hesitate, especially with your budget.

People are getting very happy with the Mustang as well, so you might tak e a look at that.

That definitely makes me more confident in getting the SR-71A. The mustang also looks great. I am pretty much deciding between these two.

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 21
I liked the P-51 more than the SR-71a. I heard both at the same time (while both were prototypes) and the P-51 seemed much more engaging. The SR-71a did a bit better with the high impedance sennheisers and none of you headphones come close to that high.

P-51 is cheaper, longer battery life, and is smaller. SR-71a has its fans for a reason, but I just liked the sonics of P-51 more. See if there is an opportunity to try both.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #11 of 21
x2, the P-51 Mustang is THE DEAL of the year !

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked the P-51 more than the SR-71a. I heard both at the same time (while both were prototypes) and the P-51 seemed much more engaging. The SR-71a did a bit better with the high impedance sennheisers and none of you headphones come close to that high.

P-51 is cheaper, longer battery life, and is smaller. SR-71a has its fans for a reason, but I just liked the sonics of P-51 more. See if there is an opportunity to try both.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What was it that you liked better?

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a little behind on my head fi vocab...What does engaging mean? When you say it is more engaging, do you mean it has a bigger "wow" factor?

I would guess that it means more involving, it pulls you into the music more, more emotional, it elicits excitement, you feel the ebb and flow of the music, the yin and yang, the pulse. You know, all that stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back