Are the PX 100's suitable for cycling?
Mar 19, 2006 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nomada

Head-Fier
Hello, first time poster, short time lurker.

I need a quality open-ear pair of headphones for urban cycling. These appear to fit the profile so far. A couple questions though:

Do they tend to fit snug? Also, are they extendable arm-wise? I need them to fit over my baseball cap. If you have any other suggestions for a suitable headphone, I'm all ears.
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.
icon10.gif

I'm not so sure that the PX100 provide enough clamping force to stay on top of your cap. Why not wear them underneath the cap?

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Ya if you wear them under your cap you will be fine.They only thing i would say is though you might have problems with wind noise and traffic noise as they do not block out external sounds at all.I know this might be what you are looking for as its safer to hear whats going on around you but i find it a bit annoying on busy roads.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 5
as padi89 mentioned, wind noise will be a problem. I've walked around outside with PX100 and PX200s, and they're both annoying if there's any substantial wind (a slight breeze is fine). I've never had a problem like that with other portable headphones that don't have a headband. The arms do extend pretty far, but I think it's the wind blowing between the arms and your head that you end up hearing.

If you're on a bike, I imagine that you'll pretty much have that problem all the time... I'd suggest something like KSC35/75s instead - they're open, so you can still hear the traffic and such, but they don't have the arms so they should fit with a baseball cap and won't pick up as much wind. They're also a fair bit cheaper, and I doubt you'll notice any difference in sound quality (which is pretty small between the PX100s and KSC35s anyway) while biking.

vvv I agree with iancraig10 (I bike a lot in downtown Toronto myself and would never use headphones while biking), but I figure/hope you've already thought about the safety issues if you're asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back