Are the New Grado SR60/80e Moddable?
Apr 8, 2015 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jeff Y

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-fi people, I plan to buy the new SR60 or the 80 "e" series headphones to mod them myself.
I was wondering if the new models are still just as moddable as the old ones. I heard the build quality has improved (?) so I'm afraid I would not be able to use a hair dryer to open the cups up and mod the headphone.
Thank you.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 14
I'd be surprised if they're not hot-glued together as always.

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 14
Well, despite the lack of confirmation, I have ordered the 80e! :) I'm planning to do the quarter mod and the venting mod (that's all I know).

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 14
I have the sr60es,I did the venting,quarter mod and dampening mod.i haven't Had the I series but its alot harder then they say online to open them so I'm guessing they changed the glue. Don't expect the cup to look as good after you open it.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 14
I have the sr60es,I did the venting,quarter mod and dampening mod.i haven't Had the I series but its alot harder then they say online to open them so I'm guessing they changed the glue. Don't expect the cup to look as good after you open it.

Good to know :) thanks.
Can you give me info or let me know of a thread that has the dampening mod? I have managed to figure out about the venting and the quarter mod but not the dampening mod. Thank you.
If it really does not look so great after opening it, I might as well stick with only the quarter mod for my 80es then (after doing more research).

Apr 19, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 14
I couldn't find anything specifically discussing the 80e or 60e models.  Plenty of info out there on the 'i' and original.  But theres nothing out there in regards to the "e" model specifically.  Maybe scattered comments buried and mixed in with the i its predecessor.

I hope they didn't change it to an un-modable kind of glue.  As near as I can tell the i models use two glue types.  Hot melt to adhere the outer cup to the driver ring and some kind of PVC adhesive to mount the driver into the ring.  I thin they use PVC type adhesive to adhere the logo button/grille to the outer cup.  Its the PVC type thats dam near impossible to get apart.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 14
  I couldn't find anything specifically discussing the 80e or 60e models.  Plenty of info out there on the 'i' and original.  But theres nothing out there in regards to the "e" model specifically.  Maybe scattered comments buried and mixed in with the i its predecessor.

I hope they didn't change it to an un-modable kind of glue.  As near as I can tell the i models use two glue types.  Hot melt to adhere the outer cup to the driver ring and some kind of PVC adhesive to mount the driver into the ring.  I thin they use PVC type adhesive to adhere the logo button/grille to the outer cup.  Its the PVC type thats dam near impossible to get apart.

Thanks. Neither could I! I'm sure it's mod-able. I'm going to do the quarter mod for sure but then I'll have to listen after the mod to decide whether or not I'll do the other mods that require me to open up the cups.
I'm burning the 80e's right now :)! Will do the quarter mod in maybe 3-4 days or so.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 14
The Worst thing Grado SR series headphones is the cable from "Y" splitter to headphones, many times have problems with contact, bad installation quality. I make mod to single side cable and I have get better comfort for every day use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0oTwA3727Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Back