Are the Meze 99 classics any good?
Dec 27, 2020 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

trivium911

500+ Head-Fier
I seem to have an issue with headphones that have excessive midbass, I’m looking for a pair of headphones that are more comfortable than my NAD HP50s which seem to do everything else right. The bass is about right, I suppose I can live a little more but excessive midbass is a deal breaker for me. Midbass makes things sound too muddy or boomy. At any rate as an Hp50 and hifiman 400i owners, would the Meze 99 classics suit my preference?

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 19
I seem to have an issue with headphones that have excessive midbass, I’m looking for a pair of headphones that are more comfortable than my NAD HP50s which seem to do everything else right. The bass is about right, I suppose I can live a little more but excessive midbass is a deal breaker for me. Midbass makes things sound too muddy or boomy. At any rate as an Hp50 and hifiman 400i owners, would the Meze 99 classics suit my preference?

I have the Meze 99 Noirs - supposedly with a very similar if not the same sound signature as the Meze 99 Classics and they are pretty bass heavy headphones... If I run them balanced on a device that can give a little more power, they tend to tighten up quite a bit.

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 19
I have the Meze 99 Noirs - supposedly with a very similar if not the same sound signature as the Meze 99 Classics and they are pretty bass heavy headphones... If I run them balanced on a device that can give a little more power, they tend to tighten up quite a bit.
Midbass primarily? Or sub bass? I read about a pad swap aswel, not sure if it’s worth doing.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 19
Midbass primarily? Or sub bass? I read about a pad swap aswel, not sure if it’s worth doing.

There's plenty of sub-bass, but there is quite a bit of mid-bass as well. Don't get me wrong, its tight and doesn't bleed into the mids much, but these are definitely more U-shaped headphones. I did a pad swap and I find that if I run them using a 2.5mm balanced cable, the bass tightens up even more.

I mean, I love my Meze 99s, but they're definitely that selective headphone that I use when I'm in the mood for them. They aren't something I'll use for everything.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 19
There's plenty of sub-bass, but there is quite a bit of mid-bass as well. Don't get me wrong, its tight and doesn't bleed into the mids much, but these are definitely more U-shaped headphones. I did a pad swap and I find that if I run them using a 2.5mm balanced cable, the bass tightens up even more.

I mean, I love my Meze 99s, but they're definitely that selective headphone that I use when I'm in the mood for them. They aren't something I'll use for everything.
It’s a shame, i really like the way these look but I fear that the excessive bass is going to turn me off. I live the way the NAD HP50s sound, there comfort leave much to be desired though. Maybe one day someone will release an affordable pair of headphones that sound as good as the NADs but actually fit a human head...

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 19
First off, these are a far cry from being V shaped. L shaped perhaps, but the treble is not well extended like many headphones are, and the mids are anything but recessed. Yes, they have what some might consider excessive mid bass, especially when used with the larger pads. However, it's an easy fix - Lower 250khz by roughly 3.5 decibels and you're set. Still a touch boomy, but nothing crazy. Energetic, lively, engaging, and fun. Must have for rock and metal lovers on a budget.

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 19
First off, these are a far cry from being V shaped. L shaped perhaps, but the treble is not well extended like many headphones are, and the mids are anything but recessed. Yes, they have what some might consider excessive mid bass, especially when used with the larger pads. However, it's an easy fix - Lower 250khz by roughly 3.5 decibels and you're set. Still a touch boomy, but nothing crazy. Energetic, lively, engaging, and fun. Must have for rock and metal lovers on a budget.

Do they ever go on sale?

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 19
Yeah so i just looked up the graph, i dont think these are for me since they have a massive dip in 3-4k range and huge curve tipped to the bass.
I don't even bother with graphs anymore. I've been duped too many times. The presence area is a bit rolled, but it definitely isn't massive. That being said, it is enough to not create any real sense of air. The Classics respond quite nicely to equalization.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 19
Not sure what your budget is, but in the price range of the other headphones you've mentioned is the Audio Technica ath Msr7b. Definitely no excessive mid bass here, and the presence region is the best I've heard in any closed back under 500 dollars. Comfort is pretty good too.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #15 of 19
Yeah, I wouldn't think so.
Were you just specifically interested in the Meze 99's or were you looking for headphone suggestions?

Hmm im open to anything really, im not in a rush but it something i can waffle back and forth about before i pull the trigger. I just have a funny feeling my NAD's about to kick the bucket due to the mods i've done to make them wearable. I had to twist the ear cups to break the little plastic tab that limits a full rotation of the cups. On the bright side, they seal to my head better now and relieved the pressure points. I've been really getting into speakers after setting up an acoustically treated room, but this pandemic being confined to home wont last forever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back