are the m-audio q40's right for me?
Jun 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

classycans

Head-Fier
after having a bit of reduction in budget for a quality set of headphones, i have been looking for headphones in the under $150 range. 3 headphones really caught my eye. i must say that i am a bit of a basshead, but i don't want to have to give up the rest of the spectrum because i do sometimes listen to vocal tracks. the headphones i found were:

ath m50- not enough bass

v moda crossfade lp- not that it was too much bass, but people say that everything else sounded like it was muddy

m audio q40 - just right!..... or is it?????

thats where i need another opinion. i have heard good reviews about these, hearing that it was alot of bass with excellent mids and treble. But the audiophile's "alot of bass" might be someone elses "not enough bass".  So what do you guys think? could i have a good time listening to dubstep and house on the q40's?
basshead.gif
<(see that? i want that to be my face... just less yellow) or would they be too weak. and if so, what other headphones could i get in my price range?

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 10
the bass is there even when the songs are bass light...with bass heavy music it vibrates your ear drum...the mids are surprisingly clear and the highs are just right..the problem with this headphone is the clamping force....but there is a way to fix that...

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 10
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693892/polk-buckle-an-overlooked-headphone-that-deserves-a-thread
According to this, he polk hinge has more bass than the dt770 and dt990 which both supposedly have more bass than the athm50

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 10
Theres also the yamaha pro 400.
http://m.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/yamaha-pro-400-review/#!1YQ15
The price has dropped a lot (it used to be around $300).It isnt a basshead can but it emphasises mids and upper bass

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 10
The Q40s are great! They have a great low end that can rumble well but doesn't sacrifice it's mids and has a smooth treble area. A nice listen. The bass is pretty present and meaty but is controlled, now if you boost their bass with an amp, they can be cannons with just about no distortion! For their price they're fantastic, and their potential... Even better!

Quick word on dt770s (only got to listen to them for a little) and a bit from what I read, they're pretty much a brighter Q40 with a recessed mid range. I need my mids so Q40s would win any day for me, but that's just my opinion! Hopes this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back