Are the Klipsch S4's worth the $40 over the Ne-6's?
Oct 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Q-Tip-81

Head-Fier
Hey guys....pretty straight forward question for anyone who has both IEM's.

I have the Ne-7m's but the left ear is failing so I'm not sure I want to make another purchase from nuforce (The problem may have been corrected in manufacturing, I'm not sure). Here's my predicament:

Ne-6: $40 (Will have to order online with shipping)
S4's: $80 (Can pickup from Best Buy, I have a $40 gift card)

Either way, it's going to cost me $40 in cash.

I listen to mainly melodic/technical death metal, classical and spanish guitar, alternative rock, and a little bit of R&B.

I know myself, and I know I struggle to take care of things. And any IEM that is over $100 would be wasted on me. So, I'm looking for something under $100 to use casually.

If you have other suggestions aside from the S4's and Ne-6's feel free to let me know.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't have my NE-7M anymore, but from my memory, the S4 and NE-7M/6 are similar in that they are both very impactful, strong earphones -- nothing laid back about either of them. On both the trebles can be a bit strong and even harsh, depending on your preferences. The bass is strong on both, but cleaner on the S4. The S4 is warmer in the mids; the NE-7M/6 is cooler in the mids. The S4 also gives a more detailed presentation with good separation -- I remember the NE-7M getting fuzzy sometimes with detailed electronic music (Trey Gunn, etc).

Both need a good 40-60+ hours of burnin to settle down their drivers and to smooth them out some. Bottom line, I think the S4 is better than the NE-7M/6 at several things, and for you since they both will cost you the same out of pocket, I would think the S4 is a better choice.

Finally, the S4 cable seems very thin compared to the NuForce cables, but all Klipsch earphones have a 2 year warranty on breakage under normal usage -- 2 years!

Oct 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have my NE-7M anymore, but from my memory, the S4 and NE-7M/6 are similar in that they are both very impactful, strong earphones -- nothing laid back about either of them. On both the trebles can be a bit strong and even harsh, depending on your preferences. The bass is strong on both, but cleaner on the S4. The S4 is warmer in the mids; the NE-7M/6 is cooler in the mids. The S4 also gives a more detailed presentation with good separation -- I remember the NE-7M getting fuzzy sometimes with detailed electronic music (Trey Gunn, etc).

Both need a good 40-60+ hours of burnin to settle down their drivers and to smooth them out some. Bottom line, I think the S4 is better than the NE-7M/6 at several things, and for you since they both will cost you the same out of pocket, I would think the S4 is a better choice.

Finally, the S4 cable seems very thin compared to the NuForce cables, but all Klipsch earphones have a 2 year warranty on breakage under normal usage -- 2 years!

Thanks a ton, it's greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back