Are the K240 Sextetts overated?
Aug 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #16 of 29
So is the Magni 2 enough?

Yes,the Magni will get it loud enough.
No,it will not sound good.

In a highly subjective hobby such as this,people get caught up in reading stats and extrapolating based upon numbers,rather than owning the gear in question and reporting what their ears hear.

The magic in the mids that make sextetts worth grabbing are not brought out by the Magni.I know.I tried.

I understand the frustration.I want a pair of STAX-007,but I cannot afford the BHSE to drive them.Fortunately the gear in question here is much less costly than my example.I realize in your country finding a strong amp,or a vintage receiver in good working shape is a challenge,but the sextetts arent worth getting if you cannot feed them properly.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #17 of 29
Hmm got curious about this mod you mentioned, how is it done?

The plastic retainer ring around the grill just pops off.
Not sure how it is on the 400i, but on the 500 it's just 4 little tabs around the ring that pop out very easily.
Grill just falls out.
Replace the grill with a thin ring of cardboard with speaker cloth (or a sturdier plastic ring with pantyhose) glued to it as the replacement grill.

Not great if there are pets or children to worry about, but if neither are an issue it's as easier than switching earpads on an HE-500.
I hope they fixed those stupid ear pad mounts on the 400i, because they're terrible.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #18 of 29
I used to own the HE-500 and currently own the HE-6.
I dont think there is much similarity between these and sextetts,at all.

The HiFiMan HPs are planars and sound really nice,full bass and nice mids,and easy-on-the-ears highs(HE-500)
IMHO the HE-500 is simply a better all-around headphone than the sextett,however the HE-500 cannot do guitars in the ultra forward,aggressive manner that the sextetts do.

Essentially one needs to figure out what sound signature appeals to you,not to mention your preferred musical choices.The HE-500 is a very good all-arounder...it didnt suck at anything I threw at it. I preferred the sextetts for rock and metal personally...but thats my preference.

I have not heard the 400i.i have read its a poor man's HE-560,which in turn is supposed to be a poor man's HE-6.If thats indeed true the 400i will be brighter than the HE-500.

Aug 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #19 of 29
I used to own the HE-500 and currently own the HE-6.
I dont think there is much similarity between these and sextetts, at all.

The HiFiMan HPs are planars and sound really nice,full bass and nice mids,and easy-on-the-ears highs(HE-500)
IMHO the HE-500 is simply a better all-around headphone than the sextett,however the HE-500 cannot do guitars in the ultra forward,aggressive manner that the sextetts do.

Essentially one needs to figure out what sound signature appeals to you,not to mention your preferred musical choices.The HE-500 is a very good all-arounder...it didnt suck at anything I threw at it. I preferred the sextetts for rock and metal personally...but thats my preference.

I have not heard the 400i.i have read its a poor man's HE-560,which in turn is supposed to be a poor man's HE-6.If thats indeed true the 400i will be brighter than the HE-500.

I see, honestly both looks tempting and are phones I want to own, it's just sad that my recently bought Magni wouldn't be enough to drive the K240 Sextett sufficiently well, guess I'm leaning towards the HE-400I at the moment, seriously it would be cumbersome to have a receiver beside my computer in the moment, maybe in the future when I have my own place.

The plastic retainer ring around the grill just pops off.
Not sure how it is on the 400i, but on the 500 it's just 4 little tabs around the ring that pop out very easily.
Grill just falls out.
Replace the grill with a thin ring of cardboard with speaker cloth (or a sturdier plastic ring with pantyhose) glued to it as the replacement grill.

Not great if there are pets or children to worry about, but if neither are an issue it's as easier than switching earpads on an HE-500.
I hope they fixed those stupid ear pad mounts on the 400i, because they're terrible.

I kinda worry about my 13 year old brother handling it the wrong way and damaging the drivers, guess for the time being I will go the stock route, will be good to compare them better and he even more WOWed when the change happens.

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 29
I have the sextetts EP and magni2. Its listenable but not a good pairing. sextetts has small soundstage, closed presentation and limited extension from both ends. to get a full and open airy sound, you need a good desktop AMP. In fact the only headphone that sounds kinda good with Magni2 for me is the Grado headfi 2 since the headphone has a tube sound signature...

Aug 25, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #21 of 29
I differ, I do think the 598 sound good, even if not the ideal pairing.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #23 of 29
Will look about the PA2V2 in greater detail, you got me interested.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 29
Are the K240 Sextett's overrated ? You would have to define overrated. I bought a pair for I think $80 usd. I think they are really good for rock if you have the power to run them. Still having a problem with overrated for a $80 set of headphones. Yes they will need a bunch of power to make them sound good but for 80 bucks and the right amp sound good. With a Chord Mojo they are quite good.

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #25 of 29
Are the K240 Sextett's overrated ? You would have to define overrated. I bought a pair for I think $80 usd. I think they are really good for rock if you have the power to run them. Still having a problem with overrated for a $80 set of headphones. Yes they will need a bunch of power to make them sound good but for 80 bucks and the right amp sound good. With a Chord Mojo they are quite good.
Does Sextett with mojo have subbass and high extension? My Sextett EP with Mojo has none of those... Maybe I need a new pad to get better seal.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #26 of 29
Never said the 240's had sub bass and highs extended where did you get that? The Mojo is warm to me so I don't see it making anything bright.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #27 of 29
I also have The Mojo and it does drive the sextetts much better than the MU2.That being said no amp will make a headphone have something it doesnt inherently possess.
Sextetts have good midbass thump(EP&MP versions,LP not so much),but virtually no sub bass extension,further the highs are gently rolled off,which to me is a wonderful thing.It allows me to crank metal really friggin loud for hours with zero fatigue.

Sextetts can benefit from a pad swap,a cleaning of the jack,and general tune-up,being 40+ years old thats to be expected.Just do not expect them to suddenly turn into Beyer T1s on the high end or LCD-2s on the bottom end.

Youre liking sextetts for the forward mids and imaging and need good power to get there... and if thats not your thing,then the sextetts will disappoint.

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #28 of 29
It allows me to crank metal really friggin loud for hours with zero fatigue.

I don't want to 'be that guy' but you will destroy your hearing doing this.
What many people don't realize is that it's not just loud noises that can damage hearing, but a good length of time spent even at moderate volumes will also damage your hearing.

Aug 26, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #29 of 29
I don't want to 'be that guy' but you will destroy your hearing doing this.
What many people don't realize is that it's not just loud noises that can damage hearing, but a good length of time spent even at moderate volumes will also damage your hearing.
:beerchug: After spending dozens of years as a drummer and singer in metal bands,and then 30+years as a DJ my hearing has been compromised for years...and yeah I know its not good,and I was exaggerating a bit too,to illustrate a point.

TL;DR dont do this at home kids!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back