Are the Focal Clear’s the next logical step?
Jul 8, 2022 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

swiftdaddy

New Head-Fier
Still relatively new here and first pair of headphones I ever bought were the HD 6XX which I understand is a common path for many people. I shortly after bought a pair of Fostex TR-X00 and TH900mk2 and they were not what I was expecting. Yes I know these are vastly different headphones but I listen to a lot of rap and edm so I wanted the bass. But after trying those out and comparing to the HD6XX I realized I would much rather miss out in the bass department a bit if I can make up for it with crisp mids and highs. I don’t know the terminology yet but I think bright is the word to describe the Fostex. They hurt my ears and I really was underwhelmed by the amount of bass they produced.

So I sold the TR-X00 and now I’m trying to unload the TH900mk2. From the research I’ve done, it sounds like the next step for me would be to go for the Focal Clear’s since I really like my HD6XX’s. I’m thinking about just getting the Clear MG Pro’s.

I am wondering if this is the next logical step for me and if anyone has any other recommendations? I would also like to know if the the MG Pro’s are a definite upgrade over the OG’s?

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 15
if you wanna dip your toes in focal sound wait for the elex to be on sale on drop for 599. went from HD650 to the elex and i havent put the 650s back on since i got them last week. they have really nice bass but they have some issues with clipping if you listen at a high volume, mine are pretty bad above 97db but fine at 88-90ish even with some bass EQ added. if you want to go straight to clears people say the Clear MG has a little more bass than the OGs but with the OGs at $890 vs $1499 for the MG i dont know if the little extra would be worth it.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 15
Personally I don't know what all the fuss is about with the clears aside of the build quality, I found them very uncomfortable and for my ears the sound was really not as good as the reviews suggest, if you can handle the weight the LCD 2 fazor is a much more well rounded headphone and in my opinion for clean highs and mid range you can't beat the Beyer T1 gen 2 (not gen 3) although based on reviews most people would disagree without even hearing them.

Jul 9, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 15
I'd agree with @b0lt 0ns that the Elex might be a good fit for you. It's a bit more fun than the Clear and doesn't require high-end source gear. On that note: what is your source gear? That can sway a lot how headphones sound like to you.

And, of course, if possible, find an audio store nearby and see if you can try out headphones. I often found myself surprised and you learn something new with every headphone you listen to.

To add: the MG is not a definite upgrade to the OG. They sound slightly different with the MG being warmer which some people criticize as also sounding honkier. It seems to be a matter of preference which one people like.

Jul 10, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 15
The TH900 bass is impressive w/EQ’ed. Based on your preference, perhaps you might like the Audeze LCD-X…

Jul 15, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 15
Still relatively new here and first pair of headphones I ever bought were the HD 6XX which I understand is a common path for many people. I shortly after bought a pair of Fostex TR-X00 and TH900mk2 and they were not what I was expecting. Yes I know these are vastly different headphones but I listen to a lot of rap and edm so I wanted the bass. But after trying those out and comparing to the HD6XX I realized I would much rather miss out in the bass department a bit if I can make up for it with crisp mids and highs. I don’t know the terminology yet but I think bright is the word to describe the Fostex. They hurt my ears and I really was underwhelmed by the amount of bass they produced.

So I sold the TR-X00 and now I’m trying to unload the TH900mk2. From the research I’ve done, it sounds like the next step for me would be to go for the Focal Clear’s since I really like my HD6XX’s. I’m thinking about just getting the Clear MG Pro’s.

I am wondering if this is the next logical step for me and if anyone has any other recommendations? I would also like to know if the the MG Pro’s are a definite upgrade over the OG’s?

Thanks!
I can't speak on the clear mg but at that price range do consider the ZMF Aeolus. There is noticeably more bass on the Aeolus but it is faster, more controlled and seem to extend further than the bass on the 6xx. Mids and highs are smoother on the 6xx imo but the Aeolus does feel a tad more nuanced and is in no way harsh sounding. The mids on the Aeolus does take a back seat to the bass and treble, presenting a slight V shaped tuning when compared to a mid centric headphone like the 6xx. Overall I think this might be a good fit. Alternatively if you are willing to spend a bit more, the Atrium is to my ears the closest thing to an upgraded hd600/650/6xx sound there is but that price is a bit of a stretch.

Jul 15, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 15
A little EQ can probably can go a long way. That's if your not opposed to salt and peppering to taste. Food for thought. 🤔

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 15

Thanks!
I have been using the Clears (original) for about a year and a half, and at the time I was chosing them, I first looked at the sub 500 price range and tested the HD660 as well.
I liked the HD660 but it simply could not keep up with the openness, clarity and dynamics of the Clears so I ended up getting the Clears at double the price.
With the original pads you get an extremely balanced, slightly mid-focused sound with good detail, layering and imaging.
Changing to Dekoni Stellia pads the Clears become ever so slightly V-shaped with a little more bass and a hint more treble, tighter sound and better imaging.
Dekoni Velours pads are somwhere in between the original pads and the Stellia pads.

Differences between Clear original and Clear MG seem to be subtle, some reviewers liked the original's tuning better, some said the MG has ever so slightly better detail.
BTW - Clear and Clear Pro are identical aside from the included accessories and the color scheme, this also applies to the MG version.

They don't need a ton of power but they definitely benefit a lot form a high quality source - I use them with the Chord Hugo2Go DAC/Amp/Streamer combo and sometimes with the Chord Mojo 2

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 15
Personally I don't know what all the fuss is about with the clears aside of the build quality, I found them very uncomfortable and for my ears the sound was really not as good as the reviews suggest, if you can handle the weight the LCD 2 fazor is a much more well rounded headphone and in my opinion for clean highs and mid range you can't beat the Beyer T1 gen 2 (not gen 3) although based on reviews most people would disagree without even hearing them.
Funny enough, the "build quality" is what people seem to complain most about these days. Well, maybe more along the lines of QC than actual build. Headbands creaking and snapping, drivers failing. Not totally common but it's given them a bit of a bad rap over the last year.

That said though, I went from the HD6XX and Sundara to the Clear and I like the upgrade a lot. For MSRP I wouldn't say they're worth it but for the $1000 or less you can get them now it's hard to go wrong. They do kinda remind me of the Senn's in that they're slightly warm and mid-forward but much better technically with better bass and treble extension. They are very dynamic as well, though I will say on some poor recordings they can sound a little too aggressive, just something I've noticed, but it's not something I'm bothered by often. Otherwise they have really nice tonal balance, not too bright, good resolving capabilities and imaging, just a great sounding package. I think OP will like them. If you want something more rich and warm with really good bass, the LCD-X 2021 is supposed to be great for that, even though their tone is more dark and less neutral, they should be more on the forgiving side.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 15
Hello,

I am in a similar situation where I am looking for an upgrade and I thought Focal Clear looks very tempting as well.
I originally thought of getting HD600/HD650 but I thought that wouldn't be a direct upgrade for me since I am using HE5se right now.
It seems you can get Focal Clear for around $700~$900 depending on the condition.

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #12 of 15
And if the OP hasn't tried using a proper equalization cut on the TH900 you may be really making a mistake. Equalizing is just as effective, maybe moreso, when you trim frequencies back. If you spend some time and find out what aspects of the lower frequencies you wish to better control and what aspects of the highs need to be tamed you may very well find that the TH900 is far more suitable than you think. You may not, but seriously, if you haven't tried equalizing you really need to. The idea that a headphone shouldn't require equalization is ridiculous. If a stock signature is exactly what you like you are extremely lucky, but it should never be expected to go that way.

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 15
I ended up buying the clear mg pro’s and while they sound good, they’re not for me. However I also bought a pair of Audeze LCD-2C and I love them! I read a lot of people saying that they take well to eq which for sure is true. I also got a pair of E-mu teaks and I really like those as well. Much more than I did the TH900.

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 15
I ended up buying the clear mg pro’s and while they sound good, they’re not for me. However I also bought a pair of Audeze LCD-2C and I love them! I read a lot of people saying that they take well to eq which for sure is true. I also got a pair of E-mu teaks and I really like those as well. Much more than I did the TH900.
ive been debating my next headphone purchase being either LCD-2C or LCD-X. hows the bass on the 2C with (or without) EQ? what didnt you like about the clears, just curious?

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 15
having finally heard the clear mg i can say they sound good but at 1499 with the elex on sale at 599 elex are a significantly better deal. However the focal clear OG are now $890 at headphones.com and even though I haven't heard those I would probably say that's the best option of the 3.
I think OG Clear at it's current price is the way. The MG, even the OG Clear, IMO, don't think I would pay more than $1000 for, $1200 tops, but it's still endgame worthy. $890 or less? A steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back