Are the Ety's only good if you are stationary?
Mar 12, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 15
Not necessarily. I don't get that much microphonics on them if they're clipped on me. Plus the microphonics are almost negated if you clip the on the strap of a backpack or bag you may have with you.

Mar 12, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 15
you are always going to get a little bit, just by the fact that you have your ears plugged. Try getting ear plugs (foam ones they sell in drug stores) and walk around. The vibrations will be felt in your ears. This type of noise, you can't really get rid of (but music minimizes the effect). The cord microphonics that people complain about can be elminated to large degree if you have your cord staionary, i.e. cliped or looped around your ears.

That said, the ER6's cord has less than the ER4X.

Mar 12, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 15
I only use my Etymotics portably. As previously mentioned, make sure to clip them to your shirt or bag. Looping around the ears supposedly helps too, but I never do that and it still sounds great to me.

Mar 12, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 15
so far, i use them only when stationary.

not because of microphonics, but because i can't hear a thing going around me... after i got hit by a bicycle in china while walking around with music on loud... i never really use closed type phones on the road
smily_headphones1.gif

only when i'm in the bus/plane/train/home/lab/library, etc, sitting down.

Mar 13, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 15
Anyone who says they're only good for stationary use probably just hasn't found a good way to fit the cord
smily_headphones1.gif

You just need to attatch the cord to something so it doesn't move much, run it under your shirt and clip it on your collar, hook the cables over your ears etc there are plenty of solutions.

If you're walking with them you can hear your own footsteps if you have solid-sole shoes or if you're barefoot, but not so much with softer soled shoes.

Most of the time once you turn your music on you'll hear very little else
smily_headphones1.gif

oh - one thing though, make 100% absolutely sure there's no way the cords can get hooked on something if you're moving around with your etys in.

Mar 13, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 15
Apart from the thud of your own footsteps, I would say that the mircrophonics are still a major problem with the Etys. The shirt clip does help eliminate a lot of the noise, but it cannot do a thing about the cord rubbing against your clothing. The worse is when the 2 cords (L and R) rub against each other. That happens even if you're sitting still and you just happen to turn your head.

The microphonics are very irritating, considering the fact that you're getting incredible world-class sound from a pair of earphones but you have to put up with unnecessary noise everytime you need to shift your body a little.

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 15
I took delivery of the ER4's today and the biggest problem for me so far is the stiffness of the cord and how far they stick out the ear. Seems like everytine I move I accidentally dislodge one of the earpieces and lose the seal. The braided cord on my Shure 1c is perfect in that it's flexible enough to wrap around behind the ear and there's a total lack of microphonics.

Mar 13, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #10 of 15
I second the suggestion to put the cord under your clothes. I always put the cord under my jacket or sweater. I find it makes the microphonic effect negligible. A second suggestion is to play a CD that you REALLY enjoy. You'll soon forget that you have a set of phones in you ears, or that there is anything around you at all.

As for dislodging the etys too easily, make sure you have them in DEEP. This takes some time as you have to learn the shape of your ear canal. I put them in far enough so that I can't see any foam sticking out of my ear. Makes the cords lay much closer to the head too. I find I need to push the etys in and then up into my my head.

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 15
Surgery would be even more expensive than the etys! I'm waiting for an in-head DAC so I can connect the optical out straight into my skull. Maybe a bluetooth wireless connection... (ponders)

Mar 13, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 15
i have to say they should only be used while stationary(for me anyway).

It's not just the microphonics, the movement, footstep, chewing, drinking even breathing can all be heard. You can use it still but it's hardly deserving.

Mar 13, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by hugoamt
As for dislodging the etys too easily, make sure you have them in DEEP. This takes some time as you have to learn the shape of your ear canal. I put them in far enough so that I can't see any foam sticking out of my ear. Makes the cords lay much closer to the head too. I find I need to push the etys in and then up into my my head.

Don't you find that the Ety's sound thin when you insert too deep? I know I can't use the silicon plugs because to get a proper seal, I have to insert fairly deep and I get no bass whatsoever. I find that I get great sound with the foamies, but they don't stay on as well as the silicon tips.

Mar 13, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by drewski
Don't you find that the Ety's sound thin when you insert too deep? I know I can't use the silicon plugs because to get a proper seal, I have to insert fairly deep and I get no bass whatsoever. I find that I get great sound with the foamies, but they don't stay on as well as the silicon tips.

No, I haven't noticed an appreciably different amount of bass, yet I can see how it could cause a problem. However, if they fall out then you get no bass, no mids, no treble, not nothing. I find that the foamies tend to go limp after a while (about a week of use for me) and don't maintain their shape "memory," making them a little loose in the ear. Might be a case for using the larger foamies offered by Etymotic. I also find that the silicone tips provide a tighter fit, but I find they make too much pressure on the walls of my ear canals, making them too uncomfortable; nor do I particularly care for their sound which seems 'thin' compared to the foamies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back