Are the er6i durable enough for portable use?
Apr 24, 2006 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jesse40902

100+ Head-Fier
Yup, still waiting for my IEms to arrive, it has been 10 days and its still going around the country...I Live in Ny , but it went to NJ, back to phoniex, back to philly, and now its back to NJ.....

In the mean time....I'll try to find all the info about this IEM so when it arrive, i Know exactly how to handle it...

Can i treat my er6i like those regular ibuds? What i mean is...wrap around the er6i around my player when im done listening....I really dont want to have a carrying case for those things...

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 18
They are surprisingly durable even though they don't seem so. Mine have been through some good rigor of going to school with me. I just stuff em in my back and they come out perfect. I have used them longboarding, skiing, and hiking. No problems whatsoever. I have pulled on the cable to get them out of my ear quite a few times (I know, I know...) and they are fine, no problems. Very well made, IMO. The only gripe I have about them is that I wish the cable was a little bit shorter with an extension rather than a whole, long cable.

Slade

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 18
Pulling on the cables to get them out is a general no no in the IEM world. You are encouraged to grap the actual plug itself, which is what I do half the time. You are much more likely to ruin them by pulling the cable out of the housing if you yank on it like that.

I was talking about the white ER6i. I don't use them as much anymore as I love my portapros, but they are nice for use with ipod. Enjoy!
Slade

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 18
Oh, and if you get them and they sound like total crap, make sure you have a good seal in your ear. They can be pretty tricky if this is your first set of IEMs, so mess around with them. When you get a good seal, you will definitely know. All noises around you will be very quiet, and the sound from the etys will be loads better. With these etys, you will probably have to push them in pretty deep too, which can be alarming at first, but you'll get used to it...

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 18
My ER6's handled everything great... They lived wrapped around my Creative Zen in my backpack for the most part..

Until one day, They were tucked up through my shirt to my collar and they fell out.. Since I broke the shirt clip, they fell to the ground..

And both wires split. I really don't think I stepped on them.. but thats the only explanation.. Its as if they fell onto a razor blade.. it was VERY strange...

So, I sent em back, paid to have em replaced, and I'm trying to trade em for something else cause I'm getting ER4P's this summer :- ]

So yeah.. They were really durable, up until the day that they weren't.. it was wierd.. but I think you will be fine :- ]

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 18
you chose to use the portapro over the er6i, arent those like 20 bucks? why u picked those?

this is my first item...its gonna be a bit scary trying to make them go deep. any techniques to get a good seal?

Apr 24, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 18
IEM's are more durrable than one might think, but i wouldn't pull on the cords or wrap the wire around the portable player, and be fairly careful with the cord around the connection areas, i have had some trouble in the past/seen bad things happen to fairly expencive headphones when people arent careful enough with tweaking cables

Apr 24, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 18
The portapros are $50, I got mine for $40, and they seriously rock man. They have a lot more bass, and that's what I want when I'm walking around. Plus, I LOVE the retro 80s look of them, very unique, I have never seen anyone else wearing them around here. People look at me funny, I like it.

As for the etys, seriously, they will have no problem being wrapped around your DAP or whatever you have and shoved in your backpack. They were made for that, IMO. Some IEM are more delicate, not all are built as well. These are meant for portability. Don't get me wrong though, they sound great, but I don't like being totally isolated all the time. And they actually are comfy, believe it or not, even when they are shoved in deep.

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 18
I can't honestly say because I have only tried the shure e2 and can't really remember them that well. I think they are a little bright, definitely not bass heavy, but they sound good. You will like them, believe me.

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVIPODS
no they're definetly durable. I just wrap it around my ipod and put itr in my pocket at school. The only reason they broke is from being sucked up in a vacume

You must have some dirty floor to not see some IEMs when vacuuming. That gave me a good laugh...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back