Are the DT770-80 as bad at vocals as everyone says?
Apr 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

acti0n

100+ Head-Fier
I was almost set on getting the DT770-80, but upon additional research on these forums, one common theme kept coming up: recessed mids and distant vocals. I listen to a good deal of vocal trance with female vocals, so I'd like whatever headphone I get to perform really well with this. Is there another closed headphone under $200 I'm better off getting?

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 6
I listen to a lot of Asian Pop music in which female vocals tend to be very forward in most songs. I find them to sound just fine on my 770 80's as it sort of balances out... on other headphones that brings the midrange more forward those same songs sound too shouty almost...

So yeah, their mids do sit back a bit, but as long as the bass on the music isn't too overwhelming I don't find them to be TOO recessed or anything.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 6
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm work best with a decent headphone amplifier.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I really don't think the mids are recessed. I think most people here on head-fi think a forward mid-range is a neutral one, and that's why there's so many people thinking they are recessed. It's just a smooth, well-rounded mid range (no lower-mid or upper-mid emphasis).

I listen almost exclusively to folk, where a nice mid range is practically a requirement, and the DT770 Pro's sound just fine.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I was almost set on getting the DT770-80, but upon additional research on these forums, one common theme kept coming up: recessed mids and distant vocals. I listen to a good deal of vocal trance with female vocals, so I'd like whatever headphone I get to perform really well with this. Is there another closed headphone under $200 I'm better off getting?

Heya,

I recently did a test on several headphones for vocals, specifically jpop style vocals, and found the AudioTechnica A900X and Beyer DT770 to be excellent for it in the $300ish and below range. There is a lot of misconception here around the DT770, it's not a super bassy headphone and it's not recessed significantly. Vocals sound superb on it. And the bass doesn't bleed it out in a way that detracts. The DT770 is simply a warm headphone with a touch of sparkle. It's under-rated and actually great for all purposes.

Here's a quick run down of a bunch of headphones concerning jpop/vocals: LINK

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back