Are the DT-880s really that bad for hip-hop?
Jun 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

raekwonse

New Head-Fier
I had a pair of Shure E2C's which broke, and I just got a pair of Etymotic HF2's for my iPhone. Now I realize how music should sound.

Because I wanted something I could listen to at home too, I bought a set of DT-880's. I listen to about 60% hip-hop, and the rest electronica and pop. Now I am reading that the DT-880s wouldn't really be suited to my purposes. I like details and a good soundstage, but I do need some bass of course. Should I look into something else?

Also, would a good amp make it better for hip-hop? Right now I'm outputting through a USB X-Fi hooked up to my Macbook into my Logitech speaker headphone jack (fake amp).

Thanks a lot.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 10
DT-880's will have more bass than any of those 2 phones mentioned, but for a full sized phone they are sort on the lean side of bass, amping is a must for the dt-880's so you might wan't to look at something that will sound nice even unamped like the Denon D2000's

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 10
DT880s need an amp. With an amp they have plenty of bass. They don't have enough bass for someone who listens to hip hop on a car stereo that you feel from a block away, but amped, they should be more bassy than your Etys.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 10
I wouldnt say they are bad, its just they wont deliver that much oomph for very beat rythm driven music like hiphop, it isnt as exciting and fun as some bassier headphones. Understanding vocals wont be a problem though.

DT990 would provide much better results. DT770 has tons of low-end balls thanks to its closed design, but not as much midrange and treble clarity as open DT880 and DT990.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 has tons of low-end balls thanks to its closed design, but not as much midrange and treble clarity as open DT880 and DT990.

Depends on which DT770.
The Pro's fits your description. But the DT770 edtion 2005 has lots of bass (but not overdone), very good mids and the highs are clear as a bell. Really a great improvement over the Pro versions.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on which DT770.
The Pro's fits your description. But the DT770 edtion 2005 has lots of bass (but not overdone), very good mids and the highs are clear as a bell. Really a great improvement over the Pro versions.

Oh yeah, I forgot the existence of '05 model. But since I havent heard it, my comments are only valid on Pro model, 80 ohm version.

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on which DT770.

I tend to agree. But Beyers need a good amp. My DT 770 2005's sound really good through my Millet, and work really well for hip-hop (listening to Lupe Fiasco as I write this). The 880's would work okay as well properly amped, but they wouldn't have as much bass thump since they are open. If you are looking for more bass punch, I'd say the 770's are a better match. Just make sure you get these. Unfortunately, I think Amazon is the only place that sells them now. If you go with the 770's or the 880's, you'll need a good amp, and I think tube or tube hybrid amps sound the best after plugging them in to a selection of amps.

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the input guys. Now I have a follow up question.

Right now I'm using an X-Mod instead of my Macbook's DAC for output. Do you guys think I should get a Zero to replace the X-Mod as a DAC and also to amp the headphones, or should I just stick with the X-Mod as the DAC and output directly from the X-mod to a cheap tube amp like a Little Dot MKII or MKIII?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back