Are the brainwavz m2's the best choice for me?
Feb 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some headphones around $50 or so. I'll be using these in the library as well as the gym, so minimum sound leakage and microphonics would be ideal. People seem to be pretty high on the m2's in this price range, is there anything else that I should be considering? I was looking at the UE metrofi 220's as well. Thanks in advance

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 3
First, keep in mind that the M2 are bassy IEMs. The cable has average microphonics. Not sure about how appropriate they are for gym usage, seal is good but if you do jogging and such they may fall off your ears. Personally for sports I prefer portable headphones or earbuds with earhooks, as IEMs tend to move within my ear canal when I move a lot and that breaks the seal and the sound quality.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 3
Overall - I think the M2's are probably the best value for iem's around $50.  I can't think of another IEM I'd rather have at that price, to be honest.  As with most headphone selections it'll depend on whether you like the sound signature.  It's bass-heavy with a warm, thick, midrange.  I'm not a basshead, but still enjoyed the M2's a lot before I gave them away.

That said - I have to agree with oldschool's comments about working out with IEM's.  I've tried running with IEM's many times - and microphonics get exaggerated, and more often than not I spend my run repositioning them in my ear.  Sweat makes them easier to dislodge, never mind the possibility of them failing.  I never did try to run with the M2's - so I can't comment directly - but it might be an exercise in frustration.

Even though the sound quality suffered - for running I ended up using clip on bluetooth headphones.  If you're only talking about lifting weights - you might be ok with IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back