Are the "big 4" that much better than the ER-4P/S?
Jan 25, 2009 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
I was going to get the etys for 180 over at head-direct, but now I'm wondering if I should just save up another 200 and get Either the Triple.Fi, Shure, or Westone top IEMs?

I mainly want an increase in detail, and I am using Super.fi 5s now. (Normal versions, not pro).
I am using an iBasso T4 amp along with a LOD.

Thanks for any input.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 23
No doubt you have heard this before, but check out the Phonak Audeo thread. I owned the SF 5s, v2, and sent them back. While the Phonaks may not be "top tier" price-wise, they can honestly compete with those phones, and are also a better choice than the ER4P ... warmer, less analytic, and less $$$ too.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 23
A hard part of head-fi is weeding through the differences. Universally better is particular headphones here and there that are really well engineered. Then you have a whole mix of good headphones but with tons of different flavors of sound. The key and difficulty is to find the one(s) that come in the flavor you like. That can be pretty hard without personally listening to every single option out there. User reviews and comments can get you part way there, but it's only other people's interpretations which may not convey your own experience.

It's tough to simply call A better then B unless A does every single thing better, and that is rare.

It's best simply to describe, in detail, the sound characteristics you like and are looking for. Then see if the folks here can point you towards a few options that may fit well.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 23
Ok well.... I have the super.fi 5s and I like them. They have good mids and ok highs and a warm sound. If I want bass, they have bass.
BUT, one of the things that bugged me was when I listened to a piece that had piano or... something classical, there seemed to be a veil that was in the way of the music, it seemed kinda fuzzy.

I have read that the ER-4Ps have amazing clarity and can stand up to the best in terms of detail and clarity.

Although, i want to know if they are that much better; if they are only better in detail or if overall, the "big 4" can walk over them in all of the other departments (mids, soundstage, bass).

Should I get the ER-4Ps now for detail or just save up and get a high end phone that has "better all around specs". I guess that is my question.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 23
I am planning to get the ER-4P because it seems people are saying these are IEMs that are the benchmark for clarity and precision and they scale up as your equipment/sources improves.

I've been thinking about the Phonaks instead but think they might be the It IEM right now and I'm waiting for reviews by some of the more senior experienced members to see how they stack up.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 23
If you value generous bass, the ER4P will not satisfy unless you're willing to use EQ or bass boost if using an external amp with that feature.

I find that once I use EQ either using my iAudio 7(amped with T4), Rockbox(prefered) or using the bass boost with my XM5, the ER4 bass can be very satisfying. If I use the excellent Rockbox EQ, the bass is everything I could ever want. Deep, tight, fast, whatever!

Just don't expect miracles if using an unamped EQ'd DAP. Ain't gonna happen.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planning to get the ER-4P because it seems people are saying these are IEMs that are the benchmark for clarity and precision and they scale up as your equipment/sources improves.

I've been thinking about the Phonaks instead but think they might be the It IEM right now and I'm waiting for reviews by some of the more senior experienced members to see how they stack up.

Precisely the ER-4S has been the benchmark IEM for the last 17 years for transparency, accuracy and clarity. And they do scale up massively with improved source. Saying so, they sucks big time with most DAPs specially in the bass dept. But try plugging them on to a warm sounding amp and your jaw will drop - analytical clarity yet smooth at the same time. Some amps can even transform them into a dynamic beast (not IEM sounding at all). For this reason I have pledged lifetime loyalty to ER-4.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 23
NO!!! The big four aren't anything special really. They are just the flagships of the brands. There are still many IEM's that will sound better then them. The ER4 still beats them in a very important way. The ER4 beats them with monitor quality.

I know people that need the ER4 even though they can afford the UE 11, or others up in that price range. They won't use anything else.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've spent many hours comparing the ER4P(& S) to the Phonak. I don't pretend to be an experienced reviewer but I do manage to put into words some impressions now and then that make sense(I hope).

What is it exactly that you have in mind for comparisons? Any certain type of music or reference tracks? What will be the source? ( I would try to match ). With the ER4 I like to use the small silicone tips from an old Shure E4 and the Ety black foam(old type).With the Phonak I prefer the Grey filter and med. silicone tips.

I don't think there are many members here who have both, I'd like to get their impressions also.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent many hours comparing the ER4P(& S) to the Phonak. I don't pretend to be an experienced reviewer but I do manage to put into words some impressions now and then that make sense(I hope).

What is it exactly that you have in mind for comparisons? Any certain type of music or reference tracks? What will be the source? ( I would try to match ).

Essentially, I'd like to know if the Phonak beats the ER-4P at what the ER-4P does best: clarity, singularity and distinctness of instruments and vocals, speed, high end and mid accuracy... Does Phonak out Etymotic, Etymotic?

Source is a iPhone 3G playing 256kbps AAC+ and some Amazon 256kbps MP3 VBR. Music is mixed with some alternative, lots of YoYoMa and violin, some rock. For bass, I don't really care that much as I have NE-7M if I want to hear some thumping bass. I derive more musical pleasure from clarity and the "feeling that I'm there in the room" than from the bass movement feeling. On both strings and vocals, I want to hear the intricacies and fine details.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is it exactly that you have in mind for comparisons? Any certain type of music or reference tracks? What will be the source? ( I would try to match ). With the ER4 I like to use the small silicone tips from an old Shure E4 and the Ety black foam(old type).With the Phonak I prefer the Grey filter and med. silicone tips.

I don't think there are many members here who have both, I'd like to get their impressions also.

Be interested to hear your view of the PFEs vs. the ER4P/W. I had the Etys more than a year ago, but never really grew to love them (sold them to finance an Atrio purchase).
I don't believe you find the Phonaks to be FOTM. Like to hear how you compare them to the Etys, since they are similar IEMs.

I am getting my Minibox E+ tomorrow (a new one to replace my original) and look forward to hooking it up to the Phonaks (after I burn it in for 50 hours or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back