Are the Audio Technica ATH-M50s ideal for me? [newbie here]
Jan 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

danil1

New Head-Fier
Hello there head-fi, I am new here as you can see and to the audio gear world.

Before I would like to say that I did tried to search here in the forums for the ideal headphones for me but unfortunately my lack of knowledge made me confused with the wide selection and I didn't know what to choose.

The price range is about 110$ +- .
The headphones will mostly be used in my house connected to a computer.
that's my sound card Audio: Realtek ALC888
Realtek

I listen mostly to trance and techno and I also play games.
What I want are headphones which are close-ear [those that cover all your ears and block noise; if that's not the name], I go more on the music than games but if lets say you have a couple headphones I prefer choosing those that give a better & stronger bass [ideal of the music I hear and games].

a friend recommended me the Audio Technica ATH-M50s;
I don't know how to inspect headphones by the data provided so I am really clueless.

any suggestions?

thanks ahead

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 18
Sounds about right. I've got M50s coming this week, to replace my SRH440s (good sound, poor comfort). The general consensus seems to be a neutral analytical sound with a touch of extra bass. I paid about $90 for mine on eBay (there's an auction where the guy's asking $104.95; make him an offer).

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 18
ath-m50 is pretty neutral, dull, stale. not really fun to listen. they can produce sharp vocals. bass is ok for me but they do not produce deep and accurate bass (slow decay) IMO.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 18
Personally, I think you'd love the ATH-M50.

The above description by Marximus would describe well how I find them - accurate across the board with slightly exagerated bass.

As with all closed cans they can sound a little unnatural at times especially in upper mids (I find brass instruments suffer the worse) but this is a problem I have always had with closed cans, and with these ones the rest of the package more than makes up for it.

Since you say you like Trance and Techno I'd definitely say go for it - I've found these to be a fantastic match for electronic music but they do well with all genres.

Also, both isolation and comfort are supurb.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 18
Danil, ATH-M50 is pretty good, but if you can, please save up and get Shure SRH750 DJ instead. They go for about $150 shipped, perhaps a bit more, but should be totally worth the money! M50 will most certainly have muddy bass, recessed midrange and cold analytical treble by comparison The Shures should sound more fun, with better detail and tighter bass and richer mids. For more information on Shure SRH750, please contact warrior05. He owns them and loves them. He is one of the very few here on head-fi who heard these headphones.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by danil1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks the Pianist
I really liked your post + reference!
More suggestions would be great :]

Po Russki slychayno ne govorish?

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Danil, ATH-M50 is pretty good, but if you can, please save up and get Shure SRH750 DJ instead. They go for about $150 shipped, perhaps a bit more, but should be totally worth the money! M50 will most certainly have muddy bass, recessed midrange and cold analytical treble by comparison The Shures should sound more fun, with better detail and tighter bass and richer mids. For more information on Shure SRH750, please contact warrior05. He owns them and loves them. He is one of the very few here on head-fi who heard these headphones.

Wow, those Shures are beautiful.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by danil1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
da ya govaru, nu ya ni govaru ochin harasho [yest omina mnoga oshbiki]
but I can understand

Ponaytno... Togda English forever!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those Shures are beautiful.

Yeah, I think they look nice and according to warrior05 also sound very nice - apparently like SRH840 but with less treble. They are also easy to drive so they will sound good out of pretty much any source. It's really a shame they are not popular on head-fi - they may be one of the best closed headphones for unamped use out there.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 18
The SRH750DJ's sound great, look great but the fit may not be for everyone. warrior05 and myself have commented in that thread on the fact that you have to extend them out all the way to fit an average sized head. They do sound really, really good though. I had both and kept the M50, no regrets!

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SRH750DJ's sound great, look great but the fit may not be for everyone. warrior05 and myself have commented in that thread on the fact that you have to extend them out all the way to fit an average sized head. They do sound really, really good though. I had both and kept the M50, no regrets!

Oh. Because you have a large head? Didn't you think SRH750 DJ sounds any better though?

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh. Because you have a large head? Didn't you think SRH750 DJ sounds any better though?

No, I have an average size head and am 5' 7" and still extended the SRH750DJ all the way and I have the M50 extended to 4 clicks. They sound a little better than the M50 IMO but I'm an audiophile noob, not enough to keep over the M50.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 18
Haven't heard the SRH 750 but if it costs 50% more than the M50 and fit may be uncomfy, I'd say the M50s are the better buy if the SQ difference is just a little better.

But I honestly cannot imagine the M50 being described as "cold," "recessed mids" and "muddy bass." Just does not compute. The SRH 750s must be one hell of a can to illicit that kind of statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back