Are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S good for metal?
Dec 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

markzi

Head-Fier
I listen mostly to metal, and these headphones have great reviews, I was just wondering if anyone knew if metal or rock would go well with these headphones, if not, any other ideas?

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm a metal fan and I use the ATH M50's for all my rock/metal albums. From The Doors to Opeth, these headphones deliver! I'm no audiophile but to my ears these cans sound excellent (for metal): punchy bass, clear highs and alot of detail.

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I listen mostly to metal, and these headphones have great reviews, I was just wondering if anyone knew if metal or rock would go well with these headphones, if not, any other ideas?

M50's for metal/rock to me was not a good match. A little harsh, the sound stage is cramped, very stereo-like, not very fun. Also just not comfortable. But that's just my take on it.

I would suggest you take a look at:

Grado SR60i with Lcush Pads
Sennheiser HD598 or HD595
Beyer DT770 PRO & DT990 PRO
Shure SRH440 & SRH840
AudioTechnica A500X or A900X
Ultrasone PRO 650 or HFI 580
Fischer Audio FA-003 (or HM5 rebrand) & FA-011
AKG K240 MKII

Very best,

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the reply! I really wanna feel those Breakdowns you know what I mean? :p

Yeah totally. For comparison: I also have a Sennheiser HD555 which sounds completely lifeless in comparison to my ATH M50 (out of an iPod Touch). I can't comment on the Grado's though, never listened to them because I live in Europe where these things are too expensive. The isolation on the ATH M50 is also a very nice bonus, especially when you decide to go outdoors.

They're also built like a tank meaning you can throw them in a backpack without running the risk of breaking them. :)

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 11
I tried out some beats the other day, the bass was good, a little muddy though, but the sound wasn't clear at all. Would you say the M50s are better than the beats?

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 11
No question, in terms of SQ, Beats headphones are nowhere near any of the cans discussed on this forum in the $100 price point. My friend let me compare the Studios to my M50s which I got about a week ago, and the difference was huge. Some people say the M50s are a bit weak in the bass, but IMO it's just fine. They're a decent all-around headphone, and a good starter for anyone wanting to spend a good amount of money on headphones. The Grado SR phones also get some really good recommendations around here. ljokerl's huge multi-review thread is also a good place to get some info from.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 11
I dont have as much to compare them to as malval but I do like them for metal. I feel there are probably cans out there that could do it better at a dimilar price but I prefer them over things like the SR60

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 11

I like my M50 for a portable solution. They're not really bad for rock or metal but they're not stellar either. A couple months ago, I decided to pull the trigger on the MS1i which is similar to the SR80. For rock and metal, if I'm at home where I do all my listening, the MS1i is what I reach for which can be had at $100. However, I got lucky as I bought these blindly which isn't recommended for Gardos. I can see why people might not like these. That all said, I will say definitely give the SR60/80 or MS1i a try if you can. 

Conversely, I also have the HD555 which depending on my mood handles those genres fine. Many folks find them rather laid back but it's all subjective. Give these a try before you buy as well. Personally, I think they do almost everything okay. There's a mod you can do to make these sound like a 595 but I'm not fully convinced they're the same thing. I really like the way these sound as well either way but they're VERY neutral so for some, they might not do with metal. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 11
I listened to Lake Trout (Not Them You), Failure (Fantastic Planet), Rishloo (Feathergun), and Amplifier (Insider) today on my M50Ss.

You may or may not consider these bands to be metal. What I heard was outstanding. The M50 strikes a sweet balance, for me, between refinement, energy, and detail in a closed can. Truly excellent sound for the above types of music. More fun and more energy than the SRH840 -- not by a lot, but by some.

Couple caveats:

1. my amp delivers an output impedance that approaches zero, which I've heard is important for lower impedance cans (damping, freq response) and I think it pays with the M50 -- bass is tight and the sound is refined

2. I listen at a really low volume, and at this level (see equal loudness contour on wikipedia) the M50 is neither harsh nor boomy nor is the midrange recessed

3. I did the coax pad mod (9.5"), which reduces high frequency energy just a bit, increases the sense of space or depth, and makes it considerably more comfortable and non-fatiguing, to the point where instead of wanting to take them off at some point I like to leave them on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back