Are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 good for every music genre?
Oct 23, 2013 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

endallchaos

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've decided that I want to buy some headphones that cost around $100 bucks that would sound great with every music genre, but I can't seem to find any. A friend told me that the ATH-M50's are pretty good for what I'm looking for. I'm not an audiophile, but I do love listening to music, so are these good? if not, which ones would you recommend?
I currently have some Solo HD's, which my brother gave me, but they don't sound so good, specially with rock or anything besides hip-hop for that matter. I'm sure any headphones would be a step up from the Solo HD's I have. :p

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 20
Hi, I've decided that I want to buy some headphones that cost around $100 bucks that would sound great with every music genre, but I can't seem to find any. A friend told me that the ATH-M50's are pretty good for what I'm looking for. I'm not an audiophile, but I do love listening to music, so are these good? if not, which ones would you recommend?
I currently have some Solo HD's, which my brother gave me, but they don't sound so good, specially with rock or anything besides hip-hop for that matter. I'm sure any headphones would be a step up from the Solo HD's I have.
tongue.gif

In short.. yes.. the M50's will suit you just fine.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 20
I've been looking for something on the same price range as you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686957/need-headphone-recommendation

Out of my research, consider these if you are looking for closed headphones in that range

-M50
-HFI580
-ATH-A700X
-KRK KNS8400

Things to note:
-The HFI 580 may or may not be comfortable to some people
-ATH A700X wings favour big heads
-There are two versions of the M50. Don't mix up reviews. The $150 M50 is the newer one

Any reason why you are considering only closed headphones?

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 20
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591029/ath-m50-the-new-vs-old

No, besides the straight vs short cable, there was a rework on 2012. One has to be wary when one reads reviews whether one is looking at pre 2012 or post 2012 reviews.

Which is precisely why I mention this. His friend may or may have not been referring to the old pre-2012 M50, which supposedly have more bass than the current one.

I really can't comment on sound quality, as I'm on the same stage as him - moving from cheapo generic stuff to my first decent headphones. However, I've already done some research and figured it might give him other options to consider/possible issues.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 20
+1  Though someone's probably going to come here and recommend some other headphones since to some people choosing the M50 is like the easy way out.  LOL Mini rant there, sorry 

lol it's fine, I'm leaning toward the M50, so far.

I've been looking for something on the same price range as you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/686957/need-headphone-recommendation

Out of my research, consider these if you are looking for closed headphones in that range

-M50
-HFI580
-ATH-A700X
-KRK KNS8400

Things to note:
-The HFI 580 may or may not be comfortable to some people
-ATH A700X wings favour big heads
-There are two versions of the M50. Don't mix up reviews. The $150 M50 is the newer one

Any reason why you are considering only closed headphones?

I'm considering both Open or closed. I had no idea about the 2 different versions of the M50, I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Don't spend $150 on M50s... they regularly go on sale for $100 bro

I'm thinking of getting them in Amazon, which sometimes sell these really cheap.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 20
i prefered the shure 840s over the m50s.

I am guessing the Guy wants a more colorful sound thus the M50 > Shure 840 ... Plus aren't then 840 $200? which is way above his price range.. Granted $150 is reaching but still cheaper then $200

Yes, I agree, I'm looking for something more colorful. :regular_smile :

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 20
You can also consider Senn HD 380 Pro. I've tried both and m50 seems to be harsh on highs were as the 380 is still smooth. So i decided to go with 380.
Yes, I agree, I'm looking for something more colorful. :regular_smile :
Also after burned in for 100+ hours it gets better and better! An excellent first decent headphones i've used.

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 20
You can also consider Senn HD 380 Pro. I've tried both and m50 seems to be harsh on highs were as the 380 is still smooth. So i decided to go with 380.
Also after burned in for 100+ hours it gets better and better! An excellent first decent headphones i've used.

Cool, thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back