Are system board DAC's enough ?
Oct 8, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi,

I would like to know if the audio chips on system boards good enough or will a dedicated DAC still be a better option in 2022? Thanks
It's not just the chip in dacs, it's the implementation and other features. That's part of the reason you can have two dacs using the same chip and one will cost $500 and the other will cost $3000. So to answer your question, a properly designed dac will sound better and cleaner than the integrated chip on your motherboard.

Now if you're using lower tier headphones, it's going to be harder to hear that difference, in which case system output is probably fine.

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Onboard like a Realtek 1220s can be a good sounding DAC but the enemy for me has always been noisy connections trying to run it out to an amplifier using 3.5mm to RCA cables.
If you remove the bundled software and let windows handle it with effects turned off and exclusive enabled, you can usually get most modern onboard DACs sounding pretty good.

Oct 10, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 10
I never really understood the effect a DAC had until I moved up into a Schiit Multibit unit about 5 years ago.

It was the first time that my CD collection sounded analog, and it was quite a paradigm shift for me.

Granted, you need all the other pieces in the chain, but a good and properly designed DAC plays a major role.

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 10
It's not just the chip in dacs, it's the implementation and other features. That's part of the reason you can have two dacs using the same chip and one will cost $500 and the other will cost $3000. So to answer your question, a properly designed dac will sound better and cleaner than the integrated chip on your motherboard.

Now if you're using lower tier headphones, it's going to be harder to hear that difference, in which case system output is probably fine.
Yeah, most of the "sound character" actually comes from the analog stage design, rather than the chips themselves

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 10
I prefer a physical dac/amp due to having tactile controls, nothing beats turning a huge knob to change volumes, but in terms of performance id say stick with your internal card unless you have issues like hiss (or just want something different sounding)

Nov 20, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 10
The latest motherboards in the medium to high end have great DAC AND headphone amps. I have a few boards with them and they sound great. Having said that, i only use SPDIF optical outs to prevent ground loop and computer noise for critical listening.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 10
I just bought a MacBook Air M2, and the output from the headphone jack is fantastic with my Sennheiser HD-650's. Subjectively better than any DAC/headphone amp I own (my primary setup is a Parasound Zdac.)

Apple's literature says the audio hardware was designed to adapt its output when using high impedance headphones like the 650, and whatever that means, the sound is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back