Are Stax amps worth the money?
Jan 20, 2007 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Quint

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not really an electrostatic guy--I owned original Omegas and matching tube amp, but sold it because it just didn't have the impact I was looking for with my rock/pop preferences--but I'm curious about the possibility of adding an electrostatic setup at some point just for a change of pace.

If I were to do it, I'd go with Omega 2s. But what about an amp? I've read some criticisms of Stax amps. Are there better ones out there? Any screaming values?

Also, have any of you recabled O2s? If so, what did you notice? TIA.

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 14
No screaming values, IMHO, but either the McAlister offerings, or the KGSS / KGBH are definite players, depending on your preference for tube or SS. A KGSS can be built for >$500, and KGBH for >$1000.

No idea what your budget is, but a good electrostatic amp is in the $1k+ range for a commercial unit.

Jan 20, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 14
If you had the Stax T2, you had what many consider the best stax amp ever made. In addition to the amps listed above, there is the Wooaudio electrostatic amp which is based on the original KG tube design, this amp which is another tube design, and the rudistor amps. It all depends on your price range and if you DIY.

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 14
Based on my experience and what others have written on Head-Fi I'd jump right into a HeadAmp KGSS.

Any complaints of lack of impact or weight are just not present with the O2/KGSS combo. This rig easily keeps pace with my previous Senn 650/HeadAmp Reference rig on impact and weight but eats it for lunch everywhere else
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 14
Putting a new cable on Stax or any other stat has some huge problems. The huge dielectric strength and low capacity needed and the big ones.

If you had the original Omega odds are that the amp you had was the SRM-T1S and while not a bad amp it is woefully inadequate for this work. I have the original T1 and while it drives the Omega II's it's very flat and uninvolveing. The 007t is a better amp but you will always get a bigger bang for your buck from a smaller amp maker with less overhead. The better amps turn the Omega II's into one of the best rock phones available with the best bass of any headphone, ever. It's either subtle and delicate or huge as hell when needed.

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 14
I've brought my original McAlister amp to several meets, and all who tried it with Stax headphones said that it was great. It cost in the $800s. It now looks like I'll be ordering a Woo Audio amp., which I've been told is much improved over the original one. I also expect to eventually get the latest McAlister EA-6. All these amps should make an interesting display at future South Florida meets, when driving my HE90, and others' HE60, and Stax headphones.

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 14
Probably not , one can buy a KGSS for the less the money Stax amps ask.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not , one can buy a KGSS for the less the money Stax amps ask.

What kind of KGSS are you talking about? The problem with the KGSS is that you don't have many options in getting one. You can either build it yourself, get it from HeadAmp ($1500), or be lucky and find someone here selling one/willing to make you a custom one. Considering the second-hand cost of the STAX amps, it's easier to get a STAX amp over a KGSS (I'd love a KGSS, but it's so expensive/hard to get one):

STAX SRM-313 - ~$300
STAX SRM-T1 - ~$450
STAX SRM-006T - ~$700
~DIY KGSS~
STAX SRM-717 - ~$800
STAX SRM-007T - ~$1200
~HeadAmp KGSS~

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No mention of the Singlepower ES-1 yet. I'm surprised.

Perhaps because the OP was looking for something less expensive. As wonderful as the ES-1 is, it isn't exactly the value leader on the market
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No mention of the Singlepower ES-1 yet. I'm surprised.

And don't forget the even more exclusive Headamp Aristaeus ...

Wonder if there is more then one HeadFier who actually has one.

Jan 21, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 14
To be serious: I'm really tempted to get some OmegaII's sooner or later, but I think I could just not justify to sell my car in order to get anything more exepensive than the Headamp KGSS.

But fortunately I'm no tube guy - especially from a practical pov (heard of too much trouble others had with tube-amps in general).

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be serious: I'm really tempted to get some OmegaII's sooner or later, but I think I could just not justify to sell my car in order to get anything more exepensive than the Headamp KGSS.

But fortunately I'm no tube guy - especially from a practical pov (heard of too much trouble others had with tube-amps in general).

Come now, you know that the amp would be more affordable/practical; car, we don't need no stinking cars...the audacity to think otherwise is truely blasphemous!
blink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 14
I have been breaking in a new pair of O2s with a STAX 727 SS amp. My experience with the E-1 is limited, but very positive, but the price of the Singlepower is much greater.

So far, I'm very happy with the 727. My only gripe is source selection between balanced and unbalanced imputs (must not connect RCA and XLR cables at same time- even there is a switch). It performs well in either balanced or unbalanced mode. Although it doesn't have the "punch" of my balanced 650s with a maxxed out HeadRoom Home, it is my favorite all around combination-superb with classical and jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back