are some people on this board only using headphones
Sep 27, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 57
Loud speakers make for an unhappy wife. Headphones bring peace and tranquility, and I've grown to love their lovely and clear sound. I use the AKG K1000.

Sep 27, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 57
i have that exact situation, tom m.

i live in a small-ass apartment with no room for real speakers and after getting into headphones, my klipsch 5.1 speaker system for my computer *quickly* began gathering dust so i unplugged it so all my headphone amps would have more juice.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 57
While I really like speakers (and I've heard some of the best), I've found that they're really only good for extended sessions when I'm trying to relax, lie on my chair, and just listen to music. But they're useless, imo, when I want to listen to music as a backdrop for doing something else (paperwork, computer, writing, drawing), because speakers are too reliant on sweet spot positioning. Where you sit in relation to the speakers is vital for good sound, and with headphones, I don't have this problem.

Aside from that though, I do think that both speakers and headphones have their sonic advantages and disadvantages. Headphones provide more on-stage intimacy with the artists and musicians, and are less dependant on the room environment than speakers to sound good (actually, not at all dependant). Speakers provide a depth and wideness of soundstage that's similar to listening to live performances. I'm not going to take sides as to which is a better listening medium, but just say they are different and leave it at that.

Sep 27, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 57
*raises hand*

I don't have the cash or space for speakers, and there's no way I could place them correctly with all the stuff crammed in my room.

Besides, headphones have way better price/performance...

Sep 27, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 57
I use headphones exclusively for real listening. I haven't decided if I prefer them to speakers, really, because I haven't heard any speakers that compare to my cans.

I still keep around some computer speakers and sometimes make use of my roommate's mini system because I don't like to wear headphones when I'm all sweaty -- which seems to be very frequently between morning crew practice and afternoon gym time. ...

kerelybonto

Sep 28, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
then how could you afford your six headphones?

I had a job, lol

To be honest, my modest speakers sound waay more realistic than my HD600's. Speakers give that feeling of the musician actually there, while headphones seem more like the music is all around you.

It is physically impossible for headphones to deliver the soundstage, bass, and imaging that speakers can deliver, simply because of their physical size and position.

Honestly, i'd be willing to bet money that a 1000$ speaker system would sound much more realistic than a 1000$ headphoe system. For me, headphones are for listening late at night.

Sep 28, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #12 of 57
i'm also in a small room. i can't crank the music or it will bother the neighbors. when i use my speakers, it's just for background music and not serious listening.

Sep 28, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 57
I use the regular full sized psb alphas (not floorstanding, not mini's)

They seriously sound (a lot) better than my dad's kiplisch/marantz setup.

Sep 28, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 57
I wasn't asking if people thought headphones where better than speakers. I was wondering if many people on this board gave up on speakers because they didn't have much room and could not set there speakers up for the right sound they liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back