Are Shure SE846 Earphones worth it if I'm only gonna use Spotify on my smartphone?
Aug 26, 2015 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LoafBloke

New Head-Fier
Hey guys first time poster and audio noob here.
So I'm looking at getting the Shure SE846 earphones. Why?
I want a really high quality best in it's class portable earphones.
I don't wanna buy all these different models and work up to it. I just wanna buy one and be done with it
So as the title suggest that's pretty much what I'll be doing with them.
I read some post on here about the pair and some people said that the earphones can sound bad if I'm not playing ultra high quality audio files or if I don't have an amp.
The opinions on the statements above seemed conflicted with some people on the forum. So is there any validity to those statements?
Would I need an amp? I assumed I wouldn't due to the fact that the impedance is so low. Once again I don't know allot about all this and I don't completely understand how amps interact with headphones other than providing the power it needs to perform properly. 
Also would Spotify on a smartphone really under utilize the SE846s capability's? Or sound bad?
Any earphones you guys would suggest for what I wanna do over the SE846?

Any input is appreciated
Thank's in advanced!

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Well I'm a noob too, however I own a pair of the SE846. I paid $800.00 for them and a week later placed an order for a pair of 1964 ears V8. So if you are into these things it's never really one and done because there is always something better. I wish I would of just purchased the CIEM instead of the Shures. That being said I don't have my CIEMs yet. You can't go wrong either way. They will sound great using spotify and playing music on your smartphone.

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Well I'm a noob too, however I own a pair of the SE846. I paid $800.00 for them and a week later placed an order for a pair of 1964 ears V8. So if you are into these things it's never really one and done because there is always something better. I wish I would of just purchased the CIEM instead of the Shures. That being said I don't have my CIEMs yet. You can't go wrong either way. They will sound great using spotify and playing music on your smartphone.
Awesome! So have you used an amp with them? If so do you think it's worth it running an amp with them?

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 5

I have had my Se846 for quite a while now. I can assure you that they sound absolutely amazing straight out from a smart phone running Sportify. They are very sensitive so you don't really need an amp However, i did test them on some high quality players eg. HM-901s, AK240, se846 sounded even better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back