Are Shure e500s overkill for an unamped iPod or Nano?
Sep 3, 2006 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

4metta

100+ Head-Fier
So are there unamped iPod users out there that like the e500s? I want completele portability for the gym and am about to get the new nanos that are about to come out so I don't have to lug my ipod around. The thing is...for the gym, and for my regular iPod use as well, I really can't stand the idea of using an amp to add to the bulk. My Superfi5 pros were a great marriage soundwise to my iPod but the design sucks. Replaced them twice and now that my current ones died I have no interest in dealing with the cracked housings anymore. It's a pity the design is so bad with those. I was eyeing the Shure e500s but if they require an amp to really hear a difference I won't be interested.

I usually rip my music to at least 320 aac format and am in the process of changing it all to Apple Losless.

Should I take the e500 plunge or get another pair of Superfi 5 pros? Supposedly the have a new tougher housing. I would throw the new upcoming Superfis form Ultimate Ears but I need a new pair asap and those are weeks away from stock.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm only interested in iems due to not having the desire of wearing sweatsoaked headphone earpads in the gym.

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip
Uh, e500's are $500. I'd assume you should amp them.

They're also IEMs designed for portability, so it's not unreasonable to assume that they should work to at least most of their potential unamped. These aren't HD650s.

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 15
I dont think so. I usually listen to them through my RS-71, but when doing yard work, or travelling light, I dont use an amp (dont have my xin yet) and think they sound very good.

From my experience with the e3's unamped, e5's amped and unamped, and e500's amped and unamped, I believe IEMs in general sound pretty good without an amp. They do have more breadth to the sound with the amp, but something you would only miss if you are used to them with an amp.

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip
Uh, e500's are $500. I'd assume you should amp them.

Just because they are a "certain" price price doesnt mean they need an amp.
wink.gif
"Oh, no! The Koss KSC75 headphones are 15 bucks you cant use an amp!" But people do amp em.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 15
Shure E500 works quite wonderfully without amping them. I usually do not amp when I am out.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 15
Shure E500 unamped with ipod= Excellent
Shure E500 with ipod, Hornet and cotton dock cable= Bliss

Tuarreg

Sep 3, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 15
LOL! The guys who said it sounds good are not helping my wallet. I think I'll take the plunge. It also seems great that they seem to fit a lot more flush that the superfis that stuck out like fullsize (forget baby) carrots in my small ears. I'm a female who is only 5'2" tall so they really looked ridiculous in my ears.

I will also be updating my 3rd gen 20 gb to 60gb (or 80gb if they make em soon) to rip my entire library at lossless. With that ipod I can see getting a very small amp like the hornet and putting it all in a smallish bag for long vacations. So it will be nice to have a pair or earphones that will be up to that task as well.

Sep 3, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuarreg
Shure E500 unamped with ipod= Excellent
Shure E500 with ipod, Hornet and cotton dock cable= Bliss

Tuarreg

Might I ask where you acquired the cotton dock connecter and what size bag can hold that Hornet rig?

Sep 3, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 15
Well I even amp my lowly E2s and they seem to benefit a lot. I'd imagine most IEMs are very usable without an amp

Sep 3, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta
Might I ask where you acquired the cotton dock connecter and what size bag can hold that Hornet rig?

Nevermind...I just found Ken's AudioLineOut stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Check this out:
http://www.audiolineout.com/exotics.html

I have it strapped together and in my backpack, with my E500 cords wrapped around the back, so no special bag. I was checking out some digital camera bags that might work really well.

Tuarreg

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

It also seems great that they seem to fit a lot more flush that the superfis that stuck out like fullsize (forget baby) carrots in my small ears.

Swap the superfi 5 pro left and right, then they would wear like Shure-style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back