Are porta pros under rated?
Feb 19, 2005 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

sony_man

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, this may be adding onto my dumb 'phone battles thing but, are koss porta pros really really under rated? someone suggested these to me but they dont look like much? remember, i am a bass head with bass head needs. people say these things crank a crap load of bass. i just wanna straight out answer yes or no. im having trouble believing these things can do much.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 32
They're very good for their price, and can satisfy any basshead's needs. They won't blow away any cans costing $100+ but they dominate everything less than $100 (unless you count the Alessandro MS-1 as a sub-$100, then they're only 2nd).

EDIT: Okay, maybe not dominate but they're pretty competitive (and of course everything in this post is IMHO).

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 32
The portapros get a lot of respect here (try a search), but I'd agree that they're underrated (here) as compared to KSC-35s and KSC-75s. They are really bassy, more so than the clip versions becuase the drivers are pressed against your ears.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 32
Powered by a well made single OP amp circuit, IMHO theyre about 90% of my DT770 in terms of bass quantity. IMHO their bass quality is a bit muddy, but easily beats out anything in their price range.

Dont take my word for it though. Bring your MP3 player into Radio shack and demo their KTX Pro1. Use YOUR ears and make your decision. It uses the same Koss driver as the KSC. Note also that their bass gets lower and more resonant after burn-in, so what you hear in th store is not a fair presentation.

Garrett

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 32
IMHO Porta-Pro's are poor. They have an exaggerated processed one-note bass and an annoyingly plastic quacky upper midrange. The SR60's walk all over them. Hell, even the Beyer DT231 kills them.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
They're very good for their price, and can satisfy any basshead's needs. They won't blow away any cans costing $100+ but they dominate everything less than $100 (unless you count the Alessandro MS-1 as a sub-$100, then they're only 2nd).

Nopee just to mention one that crosses my mind, the V6 is $69.00 and it will be better IMO, I don't know if some eggos are under 100.00 also, people here like them also, or maybe any other. I have two pairs of portapro though and none of the V6, but I got the pros just for 20 each, at 50.00 I would walk away of course, but for portable use with a CDplayer, no amp, just to enjoy them usic with no other pretension, and for 20.00, sure it is a good choice.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
IMHO Porta-Pro's are poor. They have an exaggerated processed one-note bass and an annoyingly plastic quacky upper midrange. The SR60's walk all over them. Hell, even the Beyer DT231 kills them.

.. and the sr60 and dt231 cost twice as much

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by sony_man
oh, but what if i were to amp them?

p.s., so youre saying even the v6 series would be better?

The V6 series no, the V6 in particular, the rest are more expensive and worst IMO.
Yes the others cost twice as much, well the SR-60 maybe but the beyers are even cheaper considering retail prices the pros retails for 50.00 or more, the lowest price I have seen them is 19.99 where I got them, for the protapros2 and that was a sale that is over.....anyway they are still under a 100.00, and that was the first claim.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Please don't confuse the well-respected V6 with any of the other Sony V6*** series phones, such as the V600.......they are NOT in the same league!
As for the PortaPros, I've had a pair since 1985, and, while they do put out some serious bass for their size, for overall musicality and soundstage, they can be beat quite handily (even with an amp) for under $100 (as others here have suggested) by the likes of the Grado SR-60 and the Sony MDR-V6/7506. At least that's what my ears have told me.
The Eggos are an excellent well-balanced headphone, but they will most likely NOT satisfy your bass needs. Hope this helps.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

yup, and i already have d66's (my mistake of buying), so just the V6's huh? i cant find anywhere where they sell the 750's. V6's beat porta's or no? lol.

You will not find the 7506 for under a 100.00, the V6 maybe for 69.00 or so if you are lucky (Tower Records carries them, but more expensive) The 7506 IMO is the pro version, oriented for studio use, and in my personal opinion (and very personal, I have owned both, but not at the same time to compare), they are not the same headphones, but this commnet have tried me a lot of discussions here, so I preffer not to talk about that, and accept what the majority states as a fact. But with the money, I would get the 7506, with the lack of funds the V6....just my two last cents before the flames begin again....

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle

I would sure hope so at 2-3 times the price...

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

IMHO no.

I have V6s and their sound while bass heavy, has some piercing midrange resonances at ~3200Hz. Its kind of a love hate thing, I enjoy their bass but male vocals screech when they hit that resonance and guitars at times sound excessively bright.

The V6 is a monitor and it excells at that. I use mine to monitor my guitar recordings and it clearly high-lights my playing flaws. But for music listening their mids are very unforgiving over long periods. Now... if you can EQ freqs around 3-4K and turn them down by ~4dbs its much more tolerable.

IMHO for the $$$ the porta is better for music listening.
IMHO the SR60 is better than th eV6 for music listening at roughly the same price.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back