Are people born with it?
Sep 23, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 15
Part of it is having the right gear because no matter how good your ears are if your headphones sound like mud you won't be able to hear the details.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 15
DNA is going to set limits (the species has some boundaries), but focus and training can do a lot. I'm supposedly 50% color deficient, but once I started art school I started passing color blind tests. I'm back to failing them, though.
plainface.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 15
I think it starts with having some sort of decent set up. I thought my technical set up about 3 years ago was OK and I didn't notice anything different in my friends set ups, they all had similar.

Then I found this site !!! cut a long story short, I now find myself being really crytical about what I listen to, upgraded all around, and now I can tell the difference.

Music as never sounded this good and I am not even half way up the ladder !!!!!!!

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 15
I definitely think it is a learned skillset (with the exception of people with a genetic disposition towards poor hearing). I remember many years ago thinking that Sony MDR-V150s sounded awesome (and ultimately that's the headphone that started me on 'the quest'). And now, as my ear and brain have developed an audio taste, they sound like muddy garbage.

414K6GPM6SL._AA280_.jpg

I also think that as you move up the sound quality chain, you may not realize that the additional clarity and detail is present, untill it is no longer there (i.e. downgrading). I attribute this to subconscious acclimation to the not so obvious improvements, the 'little things'. Many people here have posted that when they got their first amp, they couldn't tell the difference, and now they can't go back to not using one.

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 15
part DNA and part not putting pointy things in your ears when you were a kid probably helps.

I would also think high end gear helps as well, when you compare it to the low end. If you don't have anything to compare it to, even a $4500 system would make you assume you can't spot it

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 15
I have noticed that listening to something supposedly better than you have heard before does not sound any better. But if you keep listening to that for a time you will notice the difference if you go back.

I think we notice details that are missing and not details that we haven't heard before.

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 15
I think you can get accustomed to differentiate between them. I... just kinda knew which was which from the beginning, though.

Sep 23, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 15
to answer the OP, yes, i think they are, just like some people are born to be able to naturally beautifully sing. hence the phrase "they are a natural"

it can be learnt no doubt.

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for all of your replies!
A lot of people mentioned that the most noticeable change is downgrading. Is it worth it, then, to move up the ladder to higher quality audio? This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm really curious (noobie here).

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3hggnore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it worth it, then, to move up the ladder to higher quality audio? This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm really curious (noobie here).

Hmm, but how to realize and avoid that early enough?

First I noticed the "problem" was when I recycled my HD-570 to office and got HD-600 for the main rig. After some time (year at least) the colorization in HD-570's started really annoying me and so HD-600 to office and HD-650 to the main rig...

Now the same thing has happened with amps, but with much faster pace. Am I doomed? And reading head-fi does not seem to help much.

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3hggnore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all of your replies!
A lot of people mentioned that the most noticeable change is downgrading. Is it worth it, then, to move up the ladder to higher quality audio? This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm really curious (noobie here).

Just buy a Koss KSC75 - which IMO murders every other headphone under $100 and has a price to performance ratio that you may never see again if you jump on the upgraditis train. You can also be satisfied in knowing that for $15, your probably 75% up to near prefect sound reproduction from most CDs and MP3s. This is especially true if you listen to rock/hip-hop/most electronica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back