Are non-musicians worthy critics?
Jan 12, 2004 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Dimitri

100+ Head-Fier
My friend once said, "If you don't play an instrument, you can't understand the nature of music enough to have taste." While I don't agree with him completely, I think it is hard to find good taste in someone who is not a practicing musician. IMO Unlike art history, a discipline that doesn't necessarily require highly developed fine arts skills for scholarly success (I've had intelligent professors and friends with art hist. degrees from prestigious schools who admit to a complete lack of talent), it is impossible to study an instrument or the history of music without good musicianship. What do you all think?

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 28
isn't that kind of like saying if you're not a chef you can't understand food? or be a critic of food? to me music is so subjective, just look at some of the threads started in this forum. someone is stupid enough to start a thread saying that all rap is crap, now i hate rap, but i find threads like that only turn into flame wars and are not worthy of my time. one person's trash is another's treasure as they say....

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 28
As generalizations go, that one sweeps.

Since I'm not sure what the original speaker might have in mind in his use of "taste," I'd be reluctant to criticize. I imagine a performer does appreciate music in ways not open to the non-musician, but I think taste is a matter of cultivation rather than technique. The example of art appreciation seems apt.

Carried to its logical conclusion, that attitude would exclude a lot of people from the knowledgeable enjoyment of music, art, literature, gastronomy, etc.

BW

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

My friend once said, "If you don't play an instrument, you can't understand the nature of music enough to have taste."

Must be a starving musician.

The other, less snobby ones, let people form their own likes and dislikes and, hopefully, sell a few CDs.

Jan 12, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Dimitri
My friend once said, "If you don't play an instrument, you can't understand the nature of music enough to have taste." While I don't agree with him completely, I think it is hard to find good taste in someone who is not a practicing musician. IMO Unlike art history, a discipline that doesn't necessarily require highly developed fine arts skills for scholarly success (I've had intelligent professors and friends with art hist. degrees from prestigious schools who admit to a complete lack of talent), it is impossible to study an instrument or the history of music without good musicianship. What do you all think?

I don't know what "taste" has to do with it. I think Knowledge is more important. I get frustrated when someone is reviewing an album who has no background or grasp of the genre. That's why I get frustrated trying to review music myself. I just can't keep up with everything. If I have nowhere to "place" the music I'm hearing, I can't very well make an accurate judgment on it.

Musical talent? Well, musicians generally don't like anything that doesn't involve enough "skill" .. anyone who doesn't have the "skill" required isn't worthy or something. And another funny thing.. I've known several classical musicians who listen to absolute crap as far as their non-classical listening goes. Simply amazing.

To me it's about the music. However it's made, I don't care. Beat on a box, strum a rubber band. If it makes a convincing musical experience, I'm all for it.

-jar

Jan 12, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 28
Q: How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 10, 9 to change it and 1 to complain about how the rest were sloppy and how better it would have been if he did it
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd understand if the premise was non-musicians cannot understand some of the subtleties (chords, how difficult some were over another, etc.), but all non-musicians not having good taste? Yikes, holy subjective alert Batman.

Cruc

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 28
Does it realy matter?

Most musicians that I know show very little interest in the music outside of their own repetoire. They tend to see the music as just individual notes in perhaps the way that a mechanic will see a car as a number of parts that have been assembled.

Non musicians just enjoy the music, not how the thing was created and thus they have a greater enjoyment. Kind of like how most of were before we got engrossed in the absurd hobby of ours
biggrin.gif

How many musicians make music for other musicians? Non probably. They make it for themselves and if others enjoy it then so much the better.

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 28
What is even worse is that it is impossible to understand or appreciate movies unless you are an actor who can pull down at least $10 million/picture.

Indeed, extending the opening generalization raises the point: should we even sell CDs to non-musicians? Just imagine what impact that would have on the record industry.

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 28
I think anyone can have taste.

To look at it another way though, presume it's an American muscle car (or anything), restored to perfection. Anyone could come along and appreciate the beauty of the restoration, imagine the power, etc. Someone who knows a little more about cars would see all that too but have a further appreciation for say the parts used, whether original or aftermarket, powerfull or 454 with lot's of unseen goodness to the average person. It's not that they are above the average person, it's that it can be a deeper appreciation. Head-Fiers should know all about a pronounced appreciation....

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic

Indeed, extending the opening generalization raises the point: should we even sell CDs to non-musicians? Just imagine what impact that would have on the record industry.

I had nothing to say in this thread untill I read this line. I wholeheartedly agree that non-musicians can have valid musical opinions.

BUT.....
Man would Music Fanatics' hypothtical situation decimate the amount of pure garbage dominating the industry.

I know people are thinking "but then radio and MTV, wouldn't exist because there wouldn't be the market demand to keep it alive." Personally, I already have stopped listening to the radio, or watching MTV, because they aren't even about music anymore, just the market. I am sure there are musicians that listen to crap. However, I have alot of musician friends, and I also have alot of non-musician friends. The difference in their tastes is like night and day. I don't think I need to tell you who are the ones that listen to P-diddy, Britney, Creed, Metallica(post 1994) or whatever other crap bands that dominate the air waves.

Jan 13, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 28
Hundreds and thousands of technically trained musicians and vocalists exist in this world and not a single *artist* amongst them. Perfect music but who cares?

Yet, a few "tone-deaf squirts" can make lasting music that brings a smile to the face of millions and do it over and over again.

There's much more to music than playing an instrument.

Jan 13, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

My friend once said, "If you don't play an instrument, you can't understand the nature of music enough to have taste."

To me, music is about the gut-level reaction you get while listening and the emotions it can stir within you. You don't have to be a musician to experiece that.

But then again, I DO have better taste than anyone else anyway...
tongue.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
BUT.....
Man would Music Fanatics' hypothtical situation decimate the amount of pure garbage dominating the industry.

Contrary to popular belief, decimate means to eliminate only by a tenth.

In the spirit of this thread, I submit that unless one is a professional writer, or at the very least aspires to become one, one has no business reading, let alone writing, even posts on the internet.

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Dimitri

He sounds like a snob.

Who do you play music FOR?

Who gives the applause in a concert? I guess if no one had taste, no one's applause would be worth anything.

Anyone can appreciate music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back