Are my speakers destroyed?
Jul 30, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #16 of 25
OK guys, you're having too much fun at my expense. I told these were my first pro speakers and I get them because I was recommended in forums after weeks of research. As I understand, you're saying that I can't get a great pair of speakers for at least under $1000? Is that really so?
I also don't know why you would say that my speakers are not accurate. They have been very popular in many professional studios and their MSRP is also very high. I paid 300 instead of over 600 only because I got a great deal online.

Now for the best part, I wanted to thank you for pointing me to E-MU's signal generator. I went through the test at all frequencies and even at maxed out dbs there is no distortion! But does it prove that my tweeters are ok? When I play Mozart's Requiem I can still hear some distortion at the high pitch female chorus portions. What can you say about this? When I max out a solo piano, I don't hear any distortion at the lower keys.

Oh yeah, when I turned to frequency to almost null, I could feel the base of my speakers. It was good enough, as if I had a separate sub.

Jul 30, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Excelsius
OK guys, you're having too much fun at my expense. I told these were my first pro speakers and I get them because I was recommended in forums after weeks of research. As I understand, you're saying that I can't get a great pair of speakers for at least under $1000? Is that really so?

Did anyone of them ever tell you if they are suitable for "max-ing out"? This is the part that you are being criticised upon. Instead of listening critically to the sound character or simply enjoying the tune (at normal listening level), you seem to be more focused on upp-ing the volume knob with little concern for anything else. It's like you are treating more volume = more quality (which is true to a small extent only).

Again, turn down the volume. Your ears are more precious than the short moments you can enjoy those blasting volumes while they are not yet damaged.

Regards.

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

When I play Mozart's Requiem I can still hear some distortion at the high pitch female chorus portions. What can you say about this? When I max out a solo piano, I don't hear any distortion at the lower keys.

Could be clipping in the recording or somewhere else in the signal chain. Are you using EQ? Replaygain?

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 25
no one is telling you you cannot get good speakers under 1000$, we are saying that maxing out is another area which least of the speakers shine on as it is -put blatantly- unnecessary, not to mention unhealthy. And therefore you need to get bigger speakers meant for bigger rooms if you really want to spend the last minutes of life of your ears undistorted.

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

They have been very popular in many professional studios and their MSRP is also very high. I paid 300 instead of over 600 only because I got a great deal online.

Now for the best part, I wanted to thank you for pointing me to E-MU's signal generator. I went through the test at all frequencies and even at maxed out dbs there is no distortion! But does it prove that my tweeters are ok? When I play Mozart's Requiem I can still hear some distortion at the high pitch female chorus portions. What can you say about this? When I max out a solo piano, I don't hear any distortion at the lower keys.

What type of forums have been recommending you to these speakers btw?

For the part about the high pitched distortions, could you describe partly what you are hearing? Is it just a scratchy sound and what sort of music medium are you using?

Normally when speakers clip, the weakest part of the speaker goes first, which would be the tweeter.

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #21 of 25
Here's what I think is the general consensus on HiFi two channel speaker classifications and associated costs. It seems relevant considering some of the prior posts in this thread:
  1. Entry Level $500 to $2,000
  2. Mid Level $2,000 to $5,000
  3. Hi End $5,000 to $15,000
  4. Ultra High End > $15,000. And there are lots

Jul 30, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #22 of 25
Price does not correspond to quality in any way once you're above around $1k, but below that mark in the commercial world, the compromises are many. You have to choose between marketing, brand name, cosmetics, fidelity, and volume, amongst many others. And user reviews aren't the most trust worthy sources. I can't stand the Alesis monitors, especially on classical material.

Jul 31, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Price does not correspond to quality in any way once you're above around $1k.

IMO, price still corresponds to quality of sound (in general) as you progress way above $1,000... especially within the same company line. Take for instance, the Martin Logan Fresco - at $1000 a pair.... compare that to the Martin Logan Vantage at $5000 or the Summits at $10,000. There is a huge difference in design, material implementation, and materials used... to say that there is no difference above $1,000 is, IMO, naive.

Take for instance, Von Schweikert, at $1K, you get the VR1... no ambience tweeter... then at $3K you get the VR2 which have the Ambience tweeter and individually house tweeter sub-cabinets. At $4K you get the VR4jr which house the subs in a completely different box and free the midrange from any bass work. At $6K, you get the VR4sr which use a completely different set of drivers, from tweeters to bass.... not sure about midrange though.

Look at any speaker company and take a look at what they offer for $1K and what they offer for $5K.... there is a difference in quality, design, and materials implemented.

I think the area of diminishing returns, for speakers, is at the $15K plus mark. At that point, things start to get a bit crazy....

My .02.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #24 of 25
Of course, within a company's products, they'll price the nicer sounding components higher. I'm speaking of the market as a whole. Preference accounts for a lot, and so does business model. As an example, you'll probably never convince me to like any Sonus Faber model regardless of price, if you asked me to judge on sound alone. I'd take a cheaper speaker from a different company over any Sonus Faber I've heard. That's what I mean when I say that above circa $1k, price no longer corresponds to quality. Your options start to open up at that price point, imo.

Under $1k, manufacturers are really just too restricted by the price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back