Are my Shure E2Cs likely broken?
May 9, 2017 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JoshK

100+ Head-Fier
First off I am not much of a headphone enthusiast, I much prefer listening to my 2ch audio system for music enjoyment, however I will listen to phones at work or when traveling (airplane, etc).

I have Senn HD600, Senn Momentum 2 over the ear and AKG 770P 250ohm phones. I have owned Ety ER4P, and the higher end ones as well, in the past and hated them (quite possibly the most uncomfortable phones and anemic to boot). I then picked up a pair of used Shure E2Cs off here some 10 years ago based on good reviews.

I'd give the Shures a high mark on comfort and the fact that they don't stick out from the ear a great deal and cause leverage problems with keeping them sealed in your ear like the Etys did. However, I give them a fail on volume. They sound like they are 1/4 the volume of any comparable phones, mostly compared back to back with the Senn Mom2. I use a FIIO E17 Alpen amp at work and a FIIO X5II for travel. Looking at the specs, they should be compatible, but even with the X5 in high gain, I max out the volume and the sound is heard but too quiet. This isn't an issue with the other phones. Also seems like lack of bass, so I am thinking something is wrong with them.

FWIW, I looked very closely to see that wax wasn't built up in them and as far as I can tell that isn't the issue. I really want to get some comfortable IEM phones for my upcoming travels (traveling most of the summer) and I like the fit/comfort of the shures but I am reticent to just buy another pair if that is the normal loudness of them.

TIA,
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back