Are my Sennheiser HD558s Fake?
Oct 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iztis

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I hope this thread does not offend anyone or anything or make me look like an idiot.

I was out looking to buy IE80s online (From amazon) and was reading alot about fakes from ebay and such which has got me worried and paranoid.

I recent;y bought a pair of HD558s a few weeks ago. Now I really like them and I think the sound is great, albeit preferring highs over more bass (which i Understand is the  sound signature of the headphones anyway)

I was just off looking at my box, and the barcodes (Both UPC and EAN) scan and come up with HD 558s...

Also there is a serial number printed on the box which tallies with a sticker inside the box itself. I can't find the serial number on the headphones though not sure where to look. 

Otherwise the box seems fine and when it came, while it was not bubble wrapped (I bought it from amazon UK and it was sold by amazon UK and not a third party seller) it defeinitely came sealed with the security plastic thingy that sennheiser uses.

So does anyone know how to tell if 558s are fake? Are there even any fake 558s in the first place?

All help is appreciated as sennheiser for some reason does not allow checking of serial numbers on their website ):

Thanks guys. Appreciate it!

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Also there is a serial number printed on the box which tallies with a sticker inside the box itself. I can't find the serial number on the headphones though not sure where to look. 

It's only on high end models like the hd800 (perhaps hd700 too ?) that sennheiser put the serial number on the headphone itself.

I  find funny how people need to be reassured that their headphone is genuine in order to enjoy them.
You might ask yourself honestly if you like them, or if you don't have any buyer remorse for something that didn't meet your expectations.

Quote:
Are there even any fake 558s in the first place?

I've never heard of it. It's more easy to get monster beats fakes currently.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 10
I do like them and don't regret the money I spent. But if they are fakes...well I just want to know that my hard earned money is well spent. 

It's my first time buying such high end audio equipment (relative here) and I'm afraid I have nothing else to compare them to and my ears aren't as finely tuned.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
It's only on high end models like the hd800 (perhaps hd700 too ?) that sennheiser put the serial number on the headphone itself.

I  find funny how people need to be reassured that their headphone is genuine in order to enjoy them.
You might ask yourself honestly if you like them, or if you don't have any buyer remorse for something that didn't meet your expectations.

I've never heard of it. It's more easy to get monster beats fakes currently.

Well personally I would be worried about things such as warranty and how well they were put together, even if they somehow sounded as good as legit ones I would be afraid of the durability.

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
my ears aren't as finely tuned.

There's enough variance between headphone, you might still like something different better.
There's lot of people that bought the h595, and found them boring, even if it was their  first expensive headphone.
I personally enjoy the regular speakers from a car, even if it's not considered as hifi.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 10
AFAIK  , there's no fake yet.
Usually the conditions for a fake to appears:
- must be enough popular
- must be enough expensive
- must not cost too much to imitate.
I  don't think the hd558 would be the most lucrative to imitate.

Off course you could be one of the first victim of a fake.
If you don't have a genuine model to compare, I  suggest you look at unboxing videos at youtube.

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
AFAIK  , there's no fake yet.
Usually the conditions for a fake to appears:
- must be enough popular
- must be enough expensive
- must not cost too much to imitate.
I  don't think the hd558 would be the most lucrative to imitate.

Off course you could be one of the first victim of a fake.
If you don't have a genuine model to compare, I  suggest you look at unboxing videos at youtube.

this.
and don't forget, it must look 'cool', personally while i think these look really nice, they don't have the youth sticker rapper thing all over it, so no 0.00001% chance of this being a fake

i had my pair from Jaben Malaysia, no serial code, but they are authorised dealers, they sell the HD700 HD800 T1 LCD2,3 HE6 and a lot of other expensive stuff, so no worried, 95% of fakes are beats, only fake sennheiser i know off is from the CX Iine and that makes like only 0.1% of all the fakes out there, and the other 4.9% are from any other low cost headphone company, maybe skullcandies or something, i do not know of any HD series models that have fakes being produced, especially the higher end ones

so moral of the story, don't worry enjoy your headphones^^ afteral the ones you have do sound good

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 10
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd just post this anyways since i happened to come across this vid of a guy showing a fake sennheiser HD 598 and comparing it to a genuine replacement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7m4ZvED6pc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back