Are my PFEs busted?
Apr 4, 2009 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

MrTissues

Head-Fier
I just got my PFEs in today. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with them. I was just listening to lots of different stuff to test them out and I decided to go to a really bass heavy song. I know PFEs don't have the best bass but with the song "A Milli" by Lil' Wayne (sorry for those who hate it, it grew on me) when the bass lines come in it distorts the vocals. Does this happen with everyone else's set? In fact most of his songs have this problem.

They are all encoded in LAME V0 too... thanks for the help.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 23
Uh oh, ANOTHER problem?!?!?!?!?!? (Sorry that doesn't help you much) Maybe it's a problem with your filters, I don't own a pair but I've read tons of posts on the pfe's and somebody reported a similar problem. I would check to see if they are torn or not, and if they aren't take them off carefully and put them back on in the same fashion. Also, it could depend on the device you're using and the equalizer settings. You also mentioned something about your encoding (which I do not know much about) but my guess would be to find a higher quality format that your audio device supports. You probably know more than I do, so I'm not sure if this helps or not.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 23
Yeah, maybe try reseating the filters, that might be causing the problem. And if I may ask, what do you mean they distort the vocals? Like you can actually hear the vocals distorting?

I think you are the first one to have this, unless I haven't been keeping up at all lol. I never had this problem with my PFEs when I did have them, but I did have a couple other problems, and those were pretty frustrating to deal with too...

Good luck dude, hope everything works out.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 23
I am using the black filters, I just checked and they are not torn and have taken them out and placed back in. I am using an iPod Touch 2G with no EQ and also no amp. I am certain that it is not my encoding because LAME V0 is a very common format for iPods, and is some of the best that you can get.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, maybe try reseating the filters, that might be causing the problem. And if I may ask, what do you mean they distort the vocals? Like you can actually hear the vocals distorting?

I think you are the first one to have this, unless I haven't been keeping up at all lol. I never had this problem with my PFEs when I did have them, but I did have a couple other problems, and those were pretty frustrating to deal with too...

Good luck dude, hope everything works out.

Hmm well it seems that it must have been the filters, I just reseated them and am playing it now with no problems, I was really worried there.

Could anyone understand how filters work? How is there a difference between the gray and black? They are just little screens?

I'm just glad the problem seems to be fixed, it was really awful before, I could hear his voice changing, like a busted speaker sound or something, terrible.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 23
Wow that does sound bad, but I'm glad you were able to get it figured out and fixed. The filters, while good in the sense that they give you the option of a different sound signature, was kind of an inconvenience to me, since with the problems I was having, I would hate having to bring the filter tool thingy with me everywhere every time I had a problem with the filters. Oh well, I still miss my PFEs, deep in my heart.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTissues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm well it seems that it must have been the filters, I just reseated them and am playing it now with no problems, I was really worried there.

Could anyone understand how filters work? How is there a difference between the gray and black? They are just little screens?

I'm just glad the problem seems to be fixed, it was really awful before, I could hear his voice changing, like a busted speaker sound or something, terrible.

WOOT I actually helped someone! Sorry that I seem so freakishly zealous about this, but I'm still new to the forums and that was my first time contributing. The difference between the grey and black filters is that from what I can recall, the grey filters focus more on the highs and mids, while the black filters focus on bass, so you have the option of two different sound signatures in one headphone. The problem with the filters is that they are really fragile, so replace with caution!

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 23
Glad you figured it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 23
I've never heard any distortion type of problem with my PFE. I've never heard that song but I listen to very bass heavy electronic type music and use an amp. I've pushed them hard enough and both pairs that I've had passed the test.

What you describe as "distorts the vocals" reminds me of doppler distortion effects with loudspeakers (if it is believed).

LAME V0 is my standard and that is not the problem. I have used my 1G Touch with PFE but I haven't done enough testing where I could rule out that source as being the cause.

I also think that it could be a problem with the filters, at least that's where I would spend time first looking for a solution.

edit- Too late I guess, glad you fixed the problem!

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out this graph for the difference between the response of the filters:

pfe-graph.png

Too stupid to understand the graph T-T

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 23
No distortion at all when I pushed my PFEs with bass heavy, trance music, using iBasso D10 amp.

From the graph, In my poor/limited non-audiophile words
smily_headphones1.gif

Gray filter :
Bass=flat;
Mids = more (2kHz-6kHz ) clarity, transparency, airy
Treble = Flat at 7kHz-8kHz , Peaky at 10kHz-17kHz= sparkling high.

Black filter: Bass=flat
Mids=flats until 4kHz, lesser and controlled @ 5kHz-8kHz (shrill/sibiliant)
Treble = less sparkling.

Please correct me, if these are not correct
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 23
arigatou gozaimasu. okagesamade sukoshi wo motto wakaruyo. Sorry, this computer doesn't have Japanese installed (Vista Home Premium doesn't allow it) For those who get annoyed when someone posts something in a different language and can't understand all I said was: Thanks to you I was able to understand a bit more.

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 23
どういたしまして. (douitashimasite) = You are welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

I see, there are many Japanese head-fiers around here.
smily_headphones1.gif

p/s: I am 外人 (gaijin = foreign people; not Japanese.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 23
me neither. I just take japanese in highschool. to my knowledge, gaijin does not mean japanese, but "foreigner." so based on us two, there may be more people that "speak or are learning japanese" head-fiers around here than there are japanese head-fiers. Well it's not like it makes a difference anyway, I just like exercising my Japanese from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back