Are my Meelectronic M6's defective?
Feb 6, 2010 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

skev13

500+ Head-Fier
Just got them yesterday night. First thing i did was pull out the memory wire (which was a cakewalk). Next thing I did was listen to them. Trying to put the right driver in my ear, i hear this crinkling sound, sounds exactly like the speaker is deforming under the air pressure from getting a seal in my ear. The left channel seals fine. The right channel sounds slightly quieter.

Are my M6's defective? Am I screwed because I removed the memory wire?

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 11
have u tried different tips than the stock ones? i had something similar when i had the m6 and used olives on them which helped

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 11
removing the memory wire shouldn't have done anything to the driver, unless you some how managed to damage it when you where taking it out, and I think its a pretty common mod.

Are you still putting them in with the "over-the-ear-style"?

also if I'm not mistaken what you are hearing is called driver flex, but I think it should pop back into place after a little awhile of being inserted.

You also might want to try using a slightly smaller tip for the right ear, you might have slightly different sized ear canals and the tip on the right one is to big for that ear; this is just a guess, I have no idea if this might cause the issue you are having or not...

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 11
Tried it all. I've owned quite a few IEM's over my time.

I do hear the driver pop back after inserting, and it is noticable that the right driver is not matched with the left. (soundstage sounds shifted towards the left).

I tried them under the ear style, (L in right ear), and the soundstage shifts to the right, which definately means something is up with that right driver.

Also, no damage occured when removing the memory wire.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried it all. I've owned quite a few IEM's over my time.

I do hear the driver pop back after inserting, and it is noticable that the right driver is not matched with the left. (soundstage sounds shifted towards the left).

I tried them under the ear style, (L in right ear), and the soundstage shifts to the right, which definately means something is up with that right driver.

Also, no damage occured when removing the memory wire.

huh, well I have no more ideas, I'd recommended shooting an e-mail of to meelctronics about it and see what they have to say.

I also have a pair of M6, with the memory wire still in place (though I think its partially broken on the right on because it twists around....) and I haven't had yourproblem before, using the largest supplied eartips.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 11
ive had the same problem when i had them with the right one i believe..cant remember which one

using different tips helped but the flex was still there so i got a new one and sent theirs back. the new one didnt have the flex but i also never removed the memory wire

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, to describe the soundstage - the mids sound 70% on the right ear, 100% on the left. Right ear's mids sounds awfully muffled.

I don't recall the crinkling issue, but my original M6 also had an issue of imbalance. Right earpiece was significantly lower in volume than the left. I contacted MEElec and setup an exchange for a new one.

Not sure how the removal of the memory wire will affect the warranty, but I'd shoot MEElec an email about the issue. They have some of the best customer service I've ever experienced from any company.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 11
Had the same problem; just shoot meelec an email and they'll send you a replacement that's been tested.

I'm kind of concerned meelec hasn't looked into this issue yet, seeing how it isn't just a fluke defect. :/

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 11
Yes, the QC needs to be stepped up on the internal components. The current generation of MEElec earphones improved on the external build (cabling, plug, housings) but the drivers on the M9/M6 are carryovers from the 1st-gen earphones. Hence the imbalance issues and such. Luckily Meelec is happy to issue replacements. I must note that the M11, which is an all-new new design, does not suffer from QC issues AFAIK.

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 11
I just received my M6's today, and I'm not noticing that issue, but I definitely did have some issues with the stock triple flange tip. If it wasn't inserted perfectly, it would highly distort the sound.

However, I did receive a dud. The outer shell of the housing for the right bud is extremely loose and falls off. Such a bummer, but I emailed them and hopefully they (Or Overstock.com) will issue a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back