Are my headphones blown?
Jan 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shanebp

New Head-Fier
Hello, headphone newb here. I got my pair of ATH-M50s a few days ago. I think they might be messed up! :d When I listen to a song with deep bass or high treble the head phones pop/fizzle. They also have this happened when a song starts. Is this a sign of the headphones being messed up?

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hello, headphone newb here. I got my pair of ATH-M50s a few days ago. I think they might be messed up! :d When I listen to a song with deep bass or high treble the head phones pop/fizzle. They also have this happened when a song starts. Is this a sign of the headphones being messed up?

What is your music source?
How much are you pushing the source
Do you get this problem with other headphones
Did they do this from day 1
Do you use decent quality music files 
Do you use extreme Equalization or listen at very high levels to songs with extreme frequency ranges
Did you get the headphones from new

It may just be a wiring problem like a dry joint or a loose connection
it could be hair trapped in the driver
it could be the music you listen to

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 8
What is your music source?
How much are you pushing the source
Do you get this problem with other headphones - Only pair
Did they do this from day 1 - Yes
Do you use decent quality music files - 320kbps mp3
Do you use extreme Equalization or listen at very high levels to songs with extreme frequency ranges - yes
Did you get the headphones from new - yes

It may just be a wiring problem like a dry joint or a loose connection
it could be hair trapped in the driver
it could be the music you listen to

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Headphone will degrade and causes such sound because you turn the volume too high and corses the driver loosen. 

In your case, the headphone are too new to go high. Driver at this stage are weak. Give it some burn-in 4-8hours per day at 50% volume. do this for a week, everyday. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 8
IMO there should never be a case where "burn-in" would cure behavior like this.  If a headphone had this symptom out of the box I would send it back right away.  But that is with the knowledge that the rest of my system is performing as it should.

Really you should try an alternate source or alternate cans with the same source.  If the drivers aren't able to produce a certain frequency it should just be very weak or rolled off, not popping or fizzing, that's a serious issue.

I would check your gain stages, connections and source and also find something else to plug your phones into to check them.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I think you should say what equipment you are using the headphones with.

The problems might be with that rather than the headphones themselves.

Once you have worked that out you will then know whether you should return the headphones to the retailer for replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back