Are my grados causing hearing loss??
Jul 20, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #16 of 46
It's very easy to listen at too high a volume without realizing it with my Grado 225. I've also long ago realized that after listening to my 225 for over an hour, my Sennheiser sound very dark, lackluster, and unenjoyable--- which leads me to believe that the Grados actually causes a temporary hearing loss at the upper frequencies. So I listen to Grados at the lowest possible volume.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I thought that having the EQ with low-end raised and high-end raised and mid recessed would prevent earing loss. I always thought the mids were the area that caused earing loss

That would be news to me. I've always thought and still think that it's the high frequencies that causes hearing loss, since tinnitus is caused by damage to hair cells in your inner ear that causes it to "fire" continuously-- so the frequency of the tinnitus is the frequency that causes damage. Tinnitus is marked by a "ringing" characteristic -- a high frequency pitch.

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #17 of 46
The more I think about it I'm not sure.

On one hand I'd imagine the upper-midrange Grado peak would make the sound seem louder. However, having scooped out mids can emulate how the ear behaves at loud volumes (also called a loudness EQ) perhaps providing a more satisfying sound at low volumes.

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 46
OK did alittle digging.. first what I found... looks like highest are most damaging frequences. I don't know why I was think mid were.

And get this.. humming can prevent hearing loss.. so try humming through the heavier songs.

"Humming just prior to, and through a loud noise such as a cymbal crash or rim shot may provide some protection. Small protective muscles in the ear contract naturally when we sing or hum, and thus humming may protect from other noises.

(Most of this material comes from two articles by Chasin M, 2000. According to his articles, Mr. Chasin has published a book entitled "musicians and the prevention of hearing loss", which is available from Singular Publishing group, San Diego)."

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #20 of 46
Just get a Sound Level Meter and be sure. RadioShack sells them for 30-50 dollars. Spend the money and save your ears.

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #21 of 46
My SR-80's stress my ears very much, much moreso than anything else I've heard, with the exception of the KSC-50's, which are very harsh. I get ringing all the time from them, but I've learned to recognize this as simply being fatigue, not hearing damage. It goes away most of time, heck, most of the time it's just fluid buildup.

Unfortunately what I don't like about my SR-80's is that you do have to turn them up a decent amount for them to truly sound their best. Speakers never have this effect on me.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
OK did alittle digging.. first what I found... looks like highest are most damaging frequences. I don't know why I was think mid were.

And get this.. humming can prevent hearing loss.. so try humming through the heavier songs.

"Humming just prior to, and through a loud noise such as a cymbal crash or rim shot may provide some protection. Small protective muscles in the ear contract naturally when we sing or hum, and thus humming may protect from other noises.

(Most of this material comes from two articles by Chasin M, 2000. According to his articles, Mr. Chasin has published a book entitled "musicians and the prevention of hearing loss", which is available from Singular Publishing group, San Diego)."

Last I remember, Bass and low frequencies are supposed to 'de-tune' the ear (a sort of reset button for the hearing) whereas the higher (read treble) frequencies are supposed to do the most damage to hearing.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #23 of 46
this may sound obvious, but let's remember that the Grados are about the most open headphone line out there (AKG K1000's notwithstanding); Having said that, I find that unless I have ABSOLUTE silence when listening to my 125's, I turn them up to block out the external noise and increase the detail. I also find them a bit bright on my X5, and therefore have to turn up the bass and turn down the treble to compensate. The only fatigue I have ever experienced w/ my Grados comes from the fact that they weigh on my earlobes a little too much and scrunch my ears!

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany

So if you sing along with what you are listening to you have less of a chance of hearing loss? Cool.
cool.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #25 of 46
Turn the volume DOWN as you listen. The Alessandros are dangerously seductive the louder you turn up the volume - because they are so smooth with the OPA627s in my amp.

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Anyways, I sold off my rs1 cause the sound hurt my ears and I think the sr-325 was responsible for my tinnitus . ..
tongue.gif

Same thing happened to me with the RS-1. I thought that the bowl pads might be resposible for that treble peak that was causing the pain, but my MS-2 with bowls right now does not do that. To my ears, it does have a treble response that goes upward gently, though, and still needs to be treated with care, amp-wise.

I don't listen to the MS-2 loud. It sounds very good at low levels, I would guess due to the efficiency and response linearity of drivers used, that I don't get the urge to turn them up.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
My SR-80's stress my ears very much...... I get ringing all the time from them, but I've learned to recognize this as simply being fatigue, not hearing damage. It goes away most of time, heck, most of the time it's just fluid buildup.

I am sorry to say that this is absolute nonsense, if you are getting consistently recurring ringing in your ears, you are having temporary bouts of tinnitus which will predispose you to long-term hearing loss. You need to be much more careful, and yes, I am a doctor!

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #28 of 46
Well I for one believe that Grados need current and listening to them loud is quite nice. I've been listening to headphones for many hours a day for months now and I have no hearing problem whatsoever...

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
Well I for one believe that Grados need current and listening to them loud is quite nice. I've been listening to headphones for many hours a day for months now and I have no hearing problem whatsoever...

How do you know that your hearing is fine? If you are listening loud, that may be an indication of something wrong. (Or you just like to headbang. :wink:)

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
How do you know that your hearing is fine? If you are listening loud, that may be an indication of something wrong. (Or you just like to headbang. :wink:)

Well there was something I read in Wize about turning the TV to a volume level so you can just make out the words(pretty low). Then listen to your headphones at your usual level. If you turn the TV back on and TV sounds like it is on mute. There may be a "Miracle Ear" in your future. J/K.. If you can't understand the word then you are listening to loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back