Are MSR7s a good pair with HD558s?
Jul 3, 2017 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

EnsisTheSlayer

Head-Fier
I recently got the HD 558s as a birthday present and have since modded the crap out of them. I did the well known foam mod and cable mod, and also removed the cloth and silver ring covering the grill. The user who did all these mods before me claimed that they made the 558s sound meatier and better than the 598s, and while I don't own the 598s I definitely noticed a decent improvement in SQ and airiness and detail.

So with a modded 558 that sounds allegedly better than the 598s, what closed back headphone can deliver sound that isn't too awfully inferior to it like my current portable solution the K182s? They sound so muffled and have such a lack of emphesis, so in terms of clarity and transparency what portable headphones would make a good pair with my modded 558s?

I appreciate multiple sound signatures, as long as it isn't too V-shaped. I listen to a variety of music, including slower classic rock to faster metal to movie and game OSTs like Star Wars and Halo and slight pop and jazz.

I'm looking at the MSR7s, but I'm going to be putting it in a schoolbag I'm going to be a little rough with and throw around a little and the build quality is something I'm concerned about. I'm also looking at the M40Xs since they're much cheaper, but I'm concerned that they'd be too muffled and vague in comparison to my modded 558s (or your 598s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back