Are men more 'sensitive' to the sounds they hear?
May 13, 2022 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ultrarunner2018

100+ Head-Fier
Just had an interesting thought/observation:
I cannot imagine listening to my favorite Rock & Roll over a phone's speaker - not even the latest, greatest iPhone - which I will admit, sounds much better than my Galaxy A51 Android 11 phone's speaker - not even stereo.
But my sister is working out on her Schwinn recumbent stationary bike while listening to music on her iPhone. It sounds to me like a transistor radio. But she has never expressed an interest in high quality headphones or speakers, while it has been one of my peeves over my entire life.
So, is it just a personal taste, or is there some science behind this?

Ultrarunner

May 13, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 7
I cannot imagine listening to my favorite Rock & Roll over a phone's speaker - not even the latest, greatest iPhone - which I will admit, sounds much better than my Galaxy A51 Android 11 phone's speaker - not even stereo.
But my sister is working out on her Schwinn recumbent stationary bike while listening to music on her iPhone. It sounds to me like a transistor radio. But she has never expressed an interest in high quality headphones or speakers, while it has been one of my peeves over my entire life.

Ultrarunner
It may just be a case of different interests. My wife also could care less about audio, but there are things she is passionate about that hardly move me.

May 13, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 7
According to Steve Guttnebergs wife (Steve is a famous audio reviewer) , she said that audio perception is something to be learned.

I agree with her. In my opinion, you need to see live classical music and live jazz and listen to a bunch of great vinyl records and tube gear to be a good reviewer.

That said…..my opinion is worthless. If it sounds good and you like it, that’s all you need in life.

May 14, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 7
According to Steve Guttnebergs wife (Steve is a famous audio reviewer) , she said that audio perception is something to be learned.

I agree with her. In my opinion, you need to see live classical music and live jazz and listen to a bunch of great vinyl records and tube gear to be a good reviewer.

That said…..my opinion is worthless. If it sounds good and you like it, that’s all you need in life.
See no reason to play vinyl. CD is a superior format in every regard :)

May 15, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 7

Ultrarunner
Probably just personal interest.

Don't get stressed about it.
Remember the saying 'you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink'.

May 15, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Probably just personal interest.

Don't get stressed about it.
Remember the saying 'you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink'.
Or, you can lead your partner to a Chardonnay, but they may prefer a Cabernet… Everyone’s different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back