Are Marshmallows really that good?
Oct 21, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I grew to HATE the marshmallows.

The bass is ok, but the mids are so frickin veiled I wanted to submit my own 'will it blend' to the internet...

Honestly, save your $20.

Good advice. Thanks!
etysmile.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayiBorrowaQUART /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dammit. I'd have loved that.

I have... Hell, I forget. It was given to me. It's one of Sony's higher-end CRTs. I have my eye on the closeout KDL-40XBR2 at work, hoping it'll drop into a reasonable price range.

LOL the KDL-70XBR3. I could never imagine...

Someday I hope to have a nice set up like yours...
basshead.gif

KDL-40XBR2 is good. Even a normal camera captures it's beauty
tvclosedxa3cw1.jpg

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KDL-40XBR2 is good. Even a normal camera captures it's beauty
tvclosedxa3cw1.jpg

Where are your speakers?
confused.gif
lol

Gah it's so beautiful...
icon10.gif
I love that floating frame type deal.

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Where are your speakers?
confused.gif
lol

Gah it's so beautiful...
icon10.gif
I love that floating frame type deal.

That's not mine. I "borrowed" the picture from AVSForum. But my home theater speakers are all JBLs.

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I grew to HATE the marshmallows.

The bass is ok, but the mids are so frickin veiled I wanted to submit my own 'will it blend' to the internet...

Honestly, save your $20.

x2

marshmallows are no good, i dunno why this site promotes them
i am not even an audiophile but i really regretted paying $20 for them. they are not better than ibuds IMO, they are pretty veiled, even after kramer mod...

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #21 of 30
I think source makes a difference. I played them through a iMod with a cheap cMoy and it sounded good. Played through Nano sounded like poo. Played through a Zune, sounded great. Playing it currently through my laptop and it sounds OK, but it's EQ'd.

The bass REALLY tames down after burn in. i.e. I got mine a week ago and just leave it playing overnight on iTunes and everyday, I notice something different. The bass is nowhere near as boomy as it was out of the box, and has tightened. But the veil still hasn't lifted. And the highs are rolled off on songs where it goes to the extreme. Also, if you don't force these beasts in DEEP, it's not as veiled. Also, they're pretty sesitive as to how they're positioned in your ear, unlike UM2s, where the only difference in sound you get is if your seal sucks. Maybe it was just teh shape of my ear that complimented UM2s, but those IEMs are awesome, and SQ only degraded with a seal, not positioning.

Basically, these are AWESOME activity cans. Cans you don't care about if you wreck them, or how you wrap them in your pocket.

Coming from UM2s I can tell you these are nowhere near as accurate, and will get worked if A/B. A comparison to KSC75's is a little more fair. It has more bass than a KSC75, but isn't as airy, but it's not an annoying earclip and is more comfy.

Meh, I dig these over KSC 75's, but the KSCs aren't going anywhere :)

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

I keep reading about the JVC marshmallows here. Are they really that good?

I originally bought my RS-2s thinking, "Yeah, sure. I'll have no problem using these as portables." Now I love them and I don't want people looking at them the wrong way, let along taking them outside where they could get wet, broken, stolen, or formed to the wrong head.

So I'd like something that's good for portable use, amped or non-amped. So far I have it narrowed down to:

I love the the look of the Audio-Technica ATH-EW9. If they get good reviews here, those will probably be the ones I get.

The Shure E500 from eBay look good, too. The ambient-noise-pick-up-thing is quite nifty, though I doubt I'd ever actually use it.

The Marshmallows will make my college-student-budget wallet happy.

Sennheiser CX300 look pretty cool but idk how they'd sound. $30 on eBay doesn't sound bad though.

Other suggestions are appreciated. Something with some nice tight bass that won't be drowned out by ambient noise, but still has clean mids and crisp highs.

rs1smile.gif

Well, while the Yuin PK3s are ear buds and don't completely drown out ambient noise, they are SQ-wise the best bang for your buck. They also have a j-cord, which could be a hassle, but I have them, and they sound amazing for $39. (Too bad, because Head-Fiers just had a $25 group buy for them, shipped). Anyway, check out the PK3 appreciation thread. Solid, clean base impact, clear highs. These are the real deal in a budget portable phone. I use a cable extender, since the cable is relatively short, for workouts, but otherwise, consider these phones.

I am becoming a major Yuin fan, as I A/B them against other portable phones of all types. Sure, you still need IEMs for sound isolation, but with even medium background sound (street sounds, etc.), you can compensate with a little volume boost.

Oh, and the PK3s are virtually indestructible. Also, if you mod the pads (they only come with one set, a full cover) with a donut hole, the highs are much cleaner. Some people like the Radio Shack replacement pads modded.

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #24 of 30
If you are looking for Senn cx300, I'd stay away from ebay. I have no idea how you'd know if you have real ones. There are so many different packages and it seems like some sellers aren't even sending what they picture so you can't even go by that. I gave up.

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #25 of 30
I don't think anyone ever said that the Marshmallows were godly. You really have to look at the context in which people speak well of them, because as some have stated in this thread, it's mostly a " wow, for what I spent, they're a lot better than the crap I'm used to". Especially when taking the inner sleeves off, and fitting them with Shure E2c foam tips, they do open up a bit and lose some of that bloat.

They're definitely not for critical listening, and if you have decent gear with which to connect, then by all means they're not what you'd want. But for the gym or casual listening on the train etc ? Certainly. I honestly think that they're a great 'trashable' type, in that if they get lost, stolen or busted up, no big deal since they were cheap and very easy to replace. I see them as an 'in a sinch' phone, with the added benefit of not sounding like total crap, like most other cheapie phones sound like. Yes, the mids are veiled, and the bass is a tad mush, but the source really does play a huge roll in how emphasized those qualities are. Through my iRiver H120, they're not terrible, at all. The FX66's OTOH...

Not quite sure yet. I'm letting them burn in with pink noise to see if that helps at all.

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not mine. I "borrowed" the picture from AVSForum. But my home theater speakers are all JBLs.

Ah okay. Which JBLs? My father loves JBL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think source makes a difference. I played them through a iMod with a cheap cMoy and it sounded good. Played through Nano sounded like poo. Played through a Zune, sounded great. Playing it currently through my laptop and it sounds OK, but it's EQ'd.

The bass REALLY tames down after burn in. i.e. I got mine a week ago and just leave it playing overnight on iTunes and everyday, I notice something different. The bass is nowhere near as boomy as it was out of the box, and has tightened. But the veil still hasn't lifted. And the highs are rolled off on songs where it goes to the extreme. Also, if you don't force these beasts in DEEP, it's not as veiled. Also, they're pretty sesitive as to how they're positioned in your ear, unlike UM2s, where the only difference in sound you get is if your seal sucks. Maybe it was just teh shape of my ear that complimented UM2s, but those IEMs are awesome, and SQ only degraded with a seal, not positioning.

Basically, these are AWESOME activity cans. Cans you don't care about if you wreck them, or how you wrap them in your pocket.

Coming from UM2s I can tell you these are nowhere near as accurate, and will get worked if A/B. A comparison to KSC75's is a little more fair. It has more bass than a KSC75, but isn't as airy, but it's not an annoying earclip and is more comfy.

Meh, I dig these over KSC 75's, but the KSCs aren't going anywhere :)

Now I'm considering actually trying them out just for the heck of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, while the Yuin PK3s are ear buds and don't completely drown out ambient noise, they are SQ-wise the best bang for your buck. They also have a j-cord, which could be a hassle, but I have them, and they sound amazing for $39. (Too bad, because Head-Fiers just had a $25 group buy for them, shipped). Anyway, check out the PK3 appreciation thread. Solid, clean base impact, clear highs. These are the real deal in a budget portable phone. I use a cable extender, since the cable is relatively short, for workouts, but otherwise, consider these phones.

I am becoming a major Yuin fan, as I A/B them against other portable phones of all types. Sure, you still need IEMs for sound isolation, but with even medium background sound (street sounds, etc.), you can compensate with a little volume boost.

Oh, and the PK3s are virtually indestructible. Also, if you mod the pads (they only come with one set, a full cover) with a donut hole, the highs are much cleaner. Some people like the Radio Shack replacement pads modded.

For $39, I might just get a pair of these too. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait a second. You are on a college student budget, but you have B&O gear, and RS-2s? Hand me downs?

lol I was wondering when someone would bring that up. The B&O gear is inherited, but the RS2s are mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by underclocker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for Senn cx300, I'd stay away from ebay. I have no idea how you'd know if you have real ones. There are so many different packages and it seems like some sellers aren't even sending what they picture so you can't even go by that. I gave up.

Hm. Good advice. Unless someone else posts how godly these are, I think they're off my list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think anyone ever said that the Marshmallows were godly. You really have to look at the context in which people speak well of them, because as some have stated in this thread, it's mostly a " wow, for what I spent, they're a lot better than the crap I'm used to". Especially when taking the inner sleeves off, and fitting them with Shure E2c foam tips, they do open up a bit and lose some of that bloat.

They're definitely not for critical listening, and if you have decent gear with which to connect, then by all means they're not what you'd want. But for the gym or casual listening on the train etc ? Certainly. I honestly think that they're a great 'trashable' type, in that if they get lost, stolen or busted up, no big deal since they were cheap and very easy to replace. I see them as an 'in a sinch' phone, with the added benefit of not sounding like total crap, like most other cheapie phones sound like. Yes, the mids are veiled, and the bass is a tad mush, but the source really does play a huge roll in how emphasized those qualities are. Through my iRiver H120, they're not terrible, at all. The FX66's OTOH...

Not quite sure yet. I'm letting them burn in with pink noise to see if that helps at all.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just get them for the gym and whenever I think my phones will be in jeopardy.

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Ah okay. Which JBLs? My father loves JBL.

I got JBL L820 for my right, left, surround right, surround left, surround back right, and surround back left. JBL LC2 for center and 2 JBL L8400P for subwoofer.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #28 of 30
They are not good. If fact they kindof suck. My KSC-75s are the best for 20 bucks. If you want a good IEM then you need to spend at least 50 bucks and start with the Mylarone X3. I'm sure things get better after that point. Save your money and don't by the marshmallows!

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #29 of 30
Marshmallows give KSC75's a run for thier money. IMO are better. The KSC75's are a little more neutral whereas the Mallows are warmer and bass-ier. So if you're music is bassy, go with mallows. If you listen to music where the bass isn't as important, get the KSC75s.

I like both, and am becoming quite fond of how the mallows are blooming with continued burn-in. They're nothing to jump up and down about, but something I'de definitly write home about.

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #30 of 30
I've used mine for 4 months now... I love them. They are perfect for my to and from school commute and I won't be crying if I break them... unlike a friend who broke their E4Cs at school. I love the sound signature of the MM, but just a bit more treble would be perfect (which is why I have my Atrio M5s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back