Are Magnepan's considered good anymore?
Feb 18, 2006 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ilikemonkeys

500+ Head-Fier
They're pretty cheap on eBay, and I've got a cragslist ad near me for a pair under 500 bucks.

Are these considered decent speakers anymore, or are there so many others that perform better for the money?

Just curious really.

B

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 20
They're great speakers, but damn hard to drive properly. How I hear it though, once you've got the right equipment, there's nothing quite like them.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
They're pretty cheap on eBay, and I've got a cragslist ad near me for a pair under 500 bucks.

Are these considered decent speakers anymore, or are there so many others that perform better for the money?

Just curious really.

B

They are clearly one of the best performing loudspeakers per dollar today.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 20
Wow! Thats a powerful statement. I think I'm going to have to look into a pair.

Couple questions though.....

What's room placement like with such a HUGE area of sound emittance?
Would these work in a smaller room or would they work better in larger rooms with more area to fill?

B

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys

Couple questions though.....

What's room placement like with such a HUGE area of sound emittance?
Would these work in a smaller room or would they work better in larger rooms with more area to fill?

B

Like most panel speakers you need to be careful of the back wall interaction. You will have to make sure there are out a decent amount into the room.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

You will need to listen first. Just because they are a killer value doesn’t mean they are automatically the right speaker for you.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I would prefer a larger room with Magnepan to let them breathe, and do their thing. Just play around with placement, and keep them pushed out into the room just like m0nKeY bUsiNeSs said. Magnepan does offer different sizes for different rooms.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 20
They have some real small ones too, don't they? I've seen these attached to the wall. I think they were for cinema use, and they offer full trade in value? I guess I could visit the website and answer these questions......I'll be quiet now.

Thanks.

B

Feb 18, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 20
My two pair are sometime in the past, since replaced by DIY's. The smaller pair (2.1??) did like having a sub paired with it. Larger, 3.0 was fine on its own. From what I've heard of later models, in showrooms, the larger ribbon tweeter is still the one to get. The ribbons, being true ribbons, are fragile, something to consider when buying used. However, replacements were very reasonable, and I suspect still are.

And mine liked having a good deal of power to "sing".

The newest issue of The Absolute Sound talks about the industry, and Magnepan is mentioned as one of the early and still "backbone" members of the high end industry.

Sound and sound/$ are still considered excellent, and the one time I needed tweeters replaced they were very helpful.

Feb 18, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 20
Maggies are great but you need lots of power and a large listening room for them to sound their best. Consider that most Maggies will need 6 feet behind them and 3 feet or more on each side, and that would mean that a minimum room size of 12' by 18' is best. You can certainly get away with less space than that using other kinds of speakers, but Maggies need room.

Feb 18, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 20
Ok then these are not for me. I've got a small place for now.....maybe when I get a bigger place I can think about a pair.

Thanks for the info.....I kinda figured what you need a big room.

thanks again.

B

Feb 18, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 20
Maggies are exceptional speakers. I'm a former owner and have had MMGs and 1.6QRs, both of them extreemly satisfying. I tried to "upgrade" from them in pursiut of audiophile adjectives, and have only recently reachieved the musicality of those pannels.

FYI I drove my MMGs with a Jolida 1501RC (horrible QC problems on that integrated, btw) and my 1.6s with a Plinius 8200mkII (truely wonderful solid state unit).

Don't let the price fool you--if you have the space and are more interested in emotion and musicality than dynamics and imaging and accurate soundstaging, then maggies are king for the dollar.

Feb 19, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Are there any known defects to check for when buying older \ used Magnepan's?

Mitch

They are sensitive to air pressure differences, like if they were moved uncrated in a truck. The ribbon tweeters are somewhat sensitive. Very easy to hear if they have been damaged.

One thing with their thin profile they can be moved away from the wall for listening then pushed back for non listening times. They do sound wonderful and it was a toss up between them and the Von Schweikerts I got.

Feb 19, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 20
I really love my MMGs and when I move into a bigger space I plan on upgrading to bigger Maggies. As other have stated some Magnepans might need a subwoofer but I'm pretty satisfied using mine without a sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back