Are KRK's actually flat?
Aug 1, 2010 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hybrid35

Head-Fier
Although this thread is two years old,  it should still hold true. Are they actually flat? I've been looking into other monitors and have only found the m-audio av40's, mr5's, bx5a's, and hs50's within the rp5's price range, and from what I've looked up here, KRK's usually outdo these (I listen to just about every genre in music except stuff like punjabi, no offense to any Indians out there. But if i were to choose, maybe mostly pop, hip hop, dance, soft rock, rock, instrumentals).
I know that they're referencing the RP5's and not the G2's, but I haven't heard anyone say there's a big difference in between the two. Something about the g2 having a better low end response and clarity in the mids.

I want to know what kind of monitors they were referencing when they said there are better things for cheaper.

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 4
I've spent a couple of hours with MR5 and RP5G2 side by side in an wide open area with carpeting.  RP5G2 sounded very good, treble lacked a bit of presence and extension for my tastes and mids/bass were rounded and warm, a pleasant reddish-orange color.
MR5 was slightly clearer with better soundstage and very flat with much better treble and slightly more detailed all throughout, and very colorless, too - it showed me the color of my portable rig only and none of its own mixed in.  It was not the first time I heard them, but they definitely sounded like they were a lot more broken-in than the first couple of times in other stores.  Both had clear bass with good response.  I think the KRKs went a bit deeper down, and they are bassier than the Mackies.

I heard HS50 and BX5a in a Guitar Center, but the area was more closed in and everything had funky balances, even MR5's and RP5G2's that were there.  HS50 had an impressive sound.  I didn't like HS50's coconut milky-white tone, and the young guy in charge of the section recommended them highly.  He said they have the best tone for monitoring.  Yuck.  HS80 was even more impressive, but had that same tone yet smoother.  BX5a had real nice clarity and very good soundstage and imaging ability as well.  There was RP6 and MR8, but the MR8's weren't working and the RP6 didn't seem like it was fully broken-in, unless it sucks that bad compared to HS80 and even RP5G2.

I like BX5a and MR5 the most of the bunch, and I enjoyed RP5G2's more musical and tuneful sound, too.  They certainly didn't sound bad to me.
Would've been cool if I could have borrowed them to hear them out of my desktop rig. =P

I'd recommend you go with whichever you like best of the monitors you mentioned.
Someone else will have to chime in on anything that beats these for the less money.

People have posted impressions on the MR5's, BX5a's, KRK's, and even the AV40's.  Do a search.

Edit: I should mention why I was happy with all of them, lol.  I heard some random Creative, Logitech, and Altec Lansing computer speakers with subwoofers and multi-channel and all, very close to the the same prices, and they sounded like **** compared to the monitors.  I forgot what models the computer speakers were.  (Probably not a fair comparison in the first place, lol.)

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the detailed response. I did do a search on all of these but they were never compared to each other all in one. Since all the audio stores/guitar centers around me don't carry most of these I figured I might ask someone who has heard them all. I really doubted that there's anything better AND cheaper than any of the ones I listed.The AV40's should be the cheapest in the list but most people say that it's definitely missing a big chunk of the lower end, and I won't be getting a subwoofer soon so I had to think of alternatives.

I had high hopes for the KRK's until I found that one thread. The RP5G2's are the ones that are usually on craigslist so those are probably the ones I would be getting. I definitely like the warmer and bassier sounds in my music. The funner it is the more alive I feel the music is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back