Are kevlar drivers bulletproof?
Mar 8, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a Kevlar driver weighed as much as a Kevlar bulletproof vest then it would be a very poor speaker driver. Kevlar speaker cones are thin. Kevlar bulletproof vests are thick.

A good question for Mythbusters. How many Kevlar speaker cones would it take to be bulletproof? Line up 100 of them back to back and see if a bullet can make it through all of them.

It's also a matter of the weave and construction of the Kevlar, though. It would take a hell of a lot of drivers to stop a bullet.

Mar 8, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #17 of 20
We're forgetting the primary benefit of Kevlar as a driver material. It looks cool and high tech. That's better than bulletproof to the marketing departments.

My M-Audio BX8a speakers have a kevlar driver. Looks cool and carbon fiber weavey. I wonder if M-Audio would be able to sell a similar speaker that used a treated paper cone instead of the kevlar. I doubt it, even if the paper cone version sounds better. It wouldn't sell sitting in the showrooms next to the KRK monitors with their yellow aramid composite weave drivers.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 20
The glass in a bank teller window is bullet proof, a plate glass window in my house is not. The same holds true for kevlar, it is a strong material, but it does not have supernatural properties. Same materials, different applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back