Are iPods cheaper in Hong Kong?
Nov 15, 2004 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

schematic

New Head-Fier
I'm hoping to get sent an iPod over from Hong Kong. Does anyone know how much they retail for over there?

Also, if iPods are not that much cheaper over there than in the UK are there any other HDD players that are? Iriver, Rio, Sony?

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 11
No, iPods are not cheaper in Hong Kong. I was over there last month and I met up with a friend who had just moved back to HK. We went to the Mong Kok Computer Center (which is known to have lower prices) and he paid approximately $395 US (I forget the amount in HK$) for a 40GB Gen 4 iPod, so the prices are about the same as the US. Also, beware that return policies in Hong Kong are not as liberal as the US. Often there are no returns or exchanges. The Muvo2 FM I bought only had a 7-day period trial, and that's considered good.

It should be noted that iPod sales only slowly starting to take off in Hong Kong. Appearantly, people in Hong Kong find the iPod even too big and they prefer much smaller flash devices that hang around your neck or fit into your shirt pocket. To them, physical size is more important than storage capacity.

I would check out the Mong Kok area or the Sham Shui Po (Golden Electronics Center). Those seem to be your best bet for electronics. Don't buy from those touristy shops in Tsim Tsa Tsui and Central. You'll end up paying more and may get an older or refurbished model.

cool.gif

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
Don't buy from those touristy shops in Tsim Tsa Tsui and Central. You'll end up paying more and may get an older or refurbished model.

Or you might not end up getting all of the player's standard accessories. That seems to be commonplace in HK tourist shops.

Nov 15, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by schematic
I'm hoping to get sent an iPod over from Hong Kong. Does anyone know how much they retail for over there?

Also, if iPods are not that much cheaper over there than in the UK are there any other HDD players that are? Iriver, Rio, Sony?

Apple have it so, after exchange rate conversion, all prices are within $10US of the USD RRP... quite smart come to think of it.
iRiver H320 will see a significant discount, as will any Sony gear.. not sure about Rio. But be wary of unscrupulous salesman.

Nov 15, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 11
Errr, I'm not sure which countries the previous two posters are talking about, but that is certainly not the case in the UK! For example, the U2 pod is about £60 more here after exchange rate conversion from the dollar price, and the 60GB Photo about £100 more....
mad.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 11
i know you can haggle, but i saw the price listed for an ipod mini at 341,000 won in korea, which is a little over $300.

also as a sidenote, senn hd497's were a little over $100!!!! MX400 and 500 are around $30-40 too.

these prices include sales tax so the ipod might not be that much more expensive.

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 11
Cheers for the advice. Might end up getting something other than an iPod if there's not much difference in price. Would still be cheaper than here in the UK but after post and packaging might end up being around the same price?

Nov 17, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Yea was in Hong Kong 2 months ago and all you see around are small flash based mp3 players hanging around people's neck. I also went to the Mong Kok Computer Center to check out prices and laptops. Prices for laptops weren't really lower than here in the U.S. I got my Thinkpad in Hong Kong for around the same price as I would've paid here. Minus tax of course.

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltawalkerl
I also find it amazing how the iPods are the same price (without taking into consideration rebates/cash backs, etc.) virtually everywhere.

this is not true in. in UAE the 4g ipod at virgin megastore is about 60 dollars more expensive than it would be in the US(not including tax). and in thailand it was really expensive but i dont recall the exact price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back