Are iPods bad?
Jan 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

evantay26

New Head-Fier
I haven't seen a thread about this (please show me if there is) but is an iPod such a bad player? I have an 64gb touch, with all 320 bit songs, and powered by an amp and an M50 and hd 595s. Also what alternatives would you suggest?

Evan

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 69
Use either EQu or Equalizer for listening to your tunes & enjoy!!! There's nothing wrong with the iPod touch.

If you want something different try either a clip+ or clip zip, and Rockbox if you feel like it.

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 69
The iPods have a pretty good dac chip, but probably not so good implementation. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, ok performance when LO to an amp. And if you are in the apple eco system, then why not.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 69
The last generation ones actually sound decent ( a bit bloated in the bass dept for my taste) but dont really excell sound wise. its an ok middle of the road player.

What really puts me off from them are the proprietary connectors and itunes. Imposed DRM and managment isnt my cup of tea.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 69
The last generation ones actually sound decent ( a bit bloated in the bass dept for my taste) but dont really excell sound wise. its an ok middle of the road player.

What really puts me off from them are the proprietary connectors and itunes. Imposed DRM and managment isnt my cup of tea.

You haven't used the iPods for a long time, my friend. DRM is gone a long long time ago, and 256 aac sounds amazing .

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 69
They are the only mp3 player i will ever own. They just work.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 69

Quote:
Wow i really wasn't expecting this response from all of the stuff i've read on different threads.

Not an ipod but related. The iphone 4 is considered to be the best sounding portable dap/smart phone from what i read. All i can say is i agree.

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 69
Depends, my iPhone 4s sounds way better than my Google Nexus S, where as my iPod Classic (latest gen.) has the biggest bass roll off, sometimes it feels as if there is no low end. I really think it depends on the model, and how they implement the DAC/Amp with the software.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 69

Quote:
I keep coming back to this link. iDevices with the Wolfson chip tend to perform better than those with the Cirrus.

The 4S with iTunes Match suits my needs, and sounds just fine with or without my E6 amp.

I don't buy into that hype at all. That article says the iPhone 3GS sounds terrible.....well I've seen a lot of posts here from people praising its sound. My Touch 4G sounded better to me with flat settings than the vaunted Cowon players with Wolfson chips, when you disable all their wild enhancements. I haven't tried on of the current Classics to compare, but my 4th-gen Touch and Shuffle are excellent sounding players.

Also, that article is old....

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #13 of 69
Iphone 4/ipod touch 4g's sound quality is the one of the best. Even the rocoo p which surpposely (what i heard) sounds better than the iphone, when i got it and try it side by side with my iphone 4, the sound quality was almost on par. Dun try to upgrade it to a middle class mp3 player and wish to expect better sound quality. If you can, go for the best dap (hm-801?).

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #14 of 69
I also kept referring to that link (http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html) before deciding on what dap best suits my needs, and recently decided that I should just go ahead with an ipod classic despite what the article says.

I haven't tried the 5.5 g ipod, but to my ears, the 2009 classic offered quite a reasonable SQ. Not the best, but still enjoyable. But then again, I was already planning to add a dac (fostex hp-p1) so SQ straight from the ipod was rather irrelevant to me.

I also auditioned a sansa fuze, which straight from the headphone-out does sound slightly better that the classic 2009, also straight from the headphone-out - at least to my ears. But, as I predicted not as good as a classic - hp p1 combo.

I suppose whether an ipod is good or bad all depends on how you plan to use it, your budget for amps, dac, earphones, etc., and most importantly, your ears and tastes. I personally don't buy comments/articles which basically says that ipods are bad and not worth buying, although i'm not a i-fanboy either. All I can say based on my experience, is that they are not bad, but ain't the best either. But, they are perhaps the only portable dap that allows us to use a portable dac (p1 dan clas), which in my opinion makes the sq of the devies rather irrelevant.

In short, the only one who can judge whether an ipod is good or bad is yourself
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back