Are 'Impedance adaptors' really fixed value attenuators?
Mar 12, 2011 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

faileas

100+ Head-Fier
Just something i've been curious about. Most of the knowledge i have of circuits i have is in the DC domain, so any EEEs please forgive any gross errors i make. In addition, for the most part, i'm a full sized headphone user, who has never really needed to use one of these devices

As i understand it, 'impedance' is the property of a element in a circuit to resist a alternating current, and tends to be a complex number - which leads to my first bit of confusion - since headphone impedances are not in the form of a complex number.

An impedance adaptor is simply resistors placed in the signal path- often with IEMs - in short its being used to limit the volume, as opposed to changing to real impedance of that form of circuit... OTOH, a resistor DOES have inductance, but measuring it is is not as simple a matter as it being the same as resistance..

so which is right? does one pick resistors primarily to attenuate, or is there some other criteria behind it?

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 2
It also affects the impedance curve of the headphone which in turn affects the sound, sometimes negatively, sometimes positively, it depends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back