Are high school kids sonically dumb?
Apr 13, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #16 of 65
Im a choir director at a high school, and all I see are ipods and ipod buds. Pink, blue, black, green, ipods of all shapes and colors and forms, makes me want to throw up, at least get an sr-71 and some ety's or shures or something, even though I did see someone with a real ghetto DIY headphone amp, I could hear the bass and distortion on his sony's from all the way down the hall

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #17 of 65
Youth and stupidity go hand in hand at times.... But heck thats all part of being young.

You want real stupidity,,, start hanging around with car audio fanatics... thats down right obnoxious. I know I was one of them decades ago
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Garrett

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #18 of 65
Back when i was still in high school (2002) audio quality was poor, now in tech audio quality is better.

During high school V500's and V700's were in use and were about the upper end of portable audio (given the students budgets). Now in tech i often see Senn 555's, Bose cans, Koss foldups and the like.

Quality is much better in tech, then again me in the music building most likely has something to do with it. Then again i enjoy wearing 595's as everyday audio.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #19 of 65
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes - "Just think how dumb the average person is. Now realize that half the people in the world are dumber than that".

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr507
I'm in high school too, I love it when kids tell me how good their ipod earbuds sound lol

hahahah yeah my buddy thinks their the best earbuds ever. Until I told him to listen to my portapros. However i find its usually the "gangster" kids who do this. I go to a preppy school with tons of rich white kids, and they never do that.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigs
hahahah yeah my buddy thinks their the best earbuds ever. Until I told him to listen to my portapros. However i find its usually the "gangster" kids who do this. I go to a preppy school with tons of rich white kids, and they never do that.

I too have portapros and the response i get from my high school buddys is WOW THEY HAVE BASS???!!? Im looking to get some new headphones though, but I can't repeat my mistakes of the past (which caused some ear damage.. canal phones.. 15 years old... you can fill in the gaps).

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aydn
I too have portapros and the response i get from my high school buddys is WOW THEY HAVE BASS???!!? Im looking to get some new headphones though, but I can't repeat my mistakes of the past (which caused some ear damage.. canal phones.. 15 years old... you can fill in the gaps).

It usually that or WOW I NEVER HEARD THAT INSTRUMENT IN THE SONG BEFORE!

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes - "Just think how dumb the average person is. Now realize that half the people in the world are dumber than that".

Lol. Fantastic one!

Apr 13, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #24 of 65
The thing is, the louder you listen, the deafer you get. Once you're half deaf, why bother spending money on good-sounding headphones?

These kids may be literally unable to hear the difference.

Apr 13, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigs

what kind of cliche is that? o_O Are u insinuating that white rich kids dont listen to music loud and poor black kids do? roflmao...

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
what kind of cliche is that? o_O Are u insinuating that white rich kids dont listen to music loud and poor black kids do? roflmao...

They both do from what I've seen. Stupidity doesn't discriminate.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson

LOL.. .thats a great quote....

Garrett

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
They both do from what I've seen. Stupidity doesn't discriminate.

Well I am neither and Ive listened to music loud in my life plenty of times, as probably everyone has done... In fact alot of musicians listen to music quite loud I've noticed. Although the musicians I know usually play loud music too...

Apr 13, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
Well I am neither and Ive listened to music loud in my life plenty of times, as probably everyone has done... In fact alot of musicians listen to music quite loud I've noticed. Although the musicians I know usually play loud music too...

I have too. Mostly my early teens. Now I'm paying for it.
tongue.gif
Live and learn.

Apr 13, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #30 of 65
I know I was in HS 12 years ago, but the kids I hung with were not sonically dumb. They were the types trying to train their ears to have better relative pitch and such. They were the types writing drill and marching shows, arranging stuff and composing stuff during lunch by using the mind's ear. Nooo, not sonic retards.
smily_headphones1.gif
Of all the ears I'd respect - it would be that old group of friends. One of them is actually a band director now, doing what he always said he'd do.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back