Are headphones for me
Apr 8, 2007 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

the chemist

100+ Head-Fier
I recently upgraded from Sr-60's to SR-225's. While I understand the grado's are a "rock" phone for the most part I enjoyed the SR-60s with electronica and alternative. I did want more though and knew I could easily upgrade as the SR-60s were at the bottom of the totem pole
280smile.gif

Since purchasing the SR-225s I have noticed a difference. The notes are more pronounced and I have even picked up a few lines from songs that I did not hear on the SR-60s.

All played from Flac files on my computer(standard sound card/nothign fancy) or played on a cd player directly to the SR-225s.

Now for my question. While I do enjoy the 225s I found the upgrade rather insignificant overall. I relate to a friend who is an audiophile and has an excellent car system(not the aytypical bass heavy ones). He has it properly set up, equalizer, etc sound quality competions etc. I find much more impact in his setup and much more feeling and life. I dont know how to discribe it other than it makes you want to jam and move your head etc.

No doubt the grado's had extreme detail and seperation between notes. I could pick out every bit of detail but something is missing. So the question

1) i dont think the source needs upgrading atm. Granted I was playing from a mobile cd player(simple RCA player). Will be playing it with a samsung mp3 player as well. I dont htink this is the issue though..could be wrong

2) AMP. I think this or a change in headphones from say grado to AKG or something else is the answer. I havent heard headphones through an amp but still I only hear of a minor increase(i.e slight improvement in bass etc). So if I only noticed a slight difference from the SR-60s to SR-225s do you still suggest an amp as the solution? say Little dot 2+ MT or another tube amp.

3) headphones. I dont see an upgrade to the 325 or R1s as the answer..maybe I am wrong.

4) other suggestions?

Should I be looking at loudspeakers or something other than headphones. I was told that "car audio" feeling and impact cant be obtained with headphones?

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 10
Well it seems like what you are looking for can indeed not be obtained with headphones only.
Headphones naturally have a limited bass response and the 'feeling' you get is completely missing since there are no sound waves produced that can be felt by any other body part than the ears.
Considering that you already own a good pair of headphones, and even one that can be considered as being impactful as far as headphone bass goes, I don't think it would be of much use to upgrade the headphone chain any further.
An amp isn't going to get you what you want, it might even make the bass seem thinner in my experience.

So I would guess you would be better off with a nice pair of speakers that can actually deliver a bass that you can feel...

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 10
to truly experience bass, you need speakers to rattle your thoractic cavity, not just your ears. headphones are an ear-only thing. with a big enough subwoofer, you can rearrange your internal organs with some pounding bass slam.

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't know, you may love headphones after upgrading amps and such, but first time I listened to a pair of PortaPro I knewed that headphones was for me, it was the opposit of your experience.

But I can understand that you don't like Grados, if those were the only brand out there I don't think I would have liked HPs so much.
600smile.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by the chemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently upgraded from Sr-60's to SR-225's. While I understand the grado's are a "rock" phone for the most part I enjoyed the SR-60s with electronica and alternative. I did want more though and knew I could easily upgrade as the SR-60s were at the bottom of the totem pole
280smile.gif

Since purchasing the SR-225s I have noticed a difference. The notes are more pronounced and I have even picked up a few lines from songs that I did not hear on the SR-60s.

All played from Flac files on my computer(standard sound card/nothign fancy) or played on a cd player directly to the SR-225s.

Now for my question. While I do enjoy the 225s I found the upgrade rather insignificant overall. I relate to a friend who is an audiophile and has an excellent car system(not the aytypical bass heavy ones). He has it properly set up, equalizer, etc sound quality competions etc. I find much more impact in his setup and much more feeling and life. I dont know how to discribe it other than it makes you want to jam and move your head etc.

No doubt the grado's had extreme detail and seperation between notes. I could pick out every bit of detail but something is missing. So the question

1) i dont think the source needs upgrading atm. Granted I was playing from a mobile cd player(simple RCA player). Will be playing it with a samsung mp3 player as well. I dont htink this is the issue though..could be wrong

2) AMP. I think this or a change in headphones from say grado to AKG or something else is the answer. I havent heard headphones through an amp but still I only hear of a minor increase(i.e slight improvement in bass etc). So if I only noticed a slight difference from the SR-60s to SR-225s do you still suggest an amp as the solution? say Little dot 2+ MT or another tube amp.

3) headphones. I dont see an upgrade to the 325 or R1s as the answer..maybe I am wrong.

4) other suggestions?

Should I be looking at loudspeakers or something other than headphones. I was told that "car audio" feeling and impact cant be obtained with headphones?

I prefer speakers, but thats not an option in my current living situation..

Apr 8, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 10
You may want to visit a few audio forums as well. Picking speakers is just about the same as picking cans except your wallet is much more in danger!

.....for example I have more invested in my two main speakers than I have in all my phones put together, but my new homes' listening room is trying to negate the whole thing by being a sonic wasteland which has knocked my imaging down by a good 30-40%.
frown.gif

Then add a sub for about the same amount and you're just getting started.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But don't forget the room...it'll kill ya.
plainface.gif

Thankfully, we can crank our system most anytime we wish, but now it's mostly for movies since I now have phones that can outdo what the speakers can do for most everything on the rock side of things and come fairly close for classical and jazz in the surround mode. Of course the phones can't begin to match the slam of the sub.

So it's a case of looking at the situation and picking the best of the alternatives.

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to visit a few audio forums as well. Picking speakers is just about the same as picking cans except your wallet is much more in danger!

.....for example I have more invested in my two main speakers than I have in all my phones put together, but my new homes' listening room is trying to negate the whole thing by being a sonic wasteland which has knocked my imaging down by a good 30-40%.
frown.gif

Then add a sub for about the same amount and you're just getting started.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But don't forget the room...it'll kill ya.
plainface.gif

Thankfully, we can crank our system most anytime we wish, but now it's mostly for movies since I now have phones that can outdo what the speakers can do for most everything on the rock side of things and come fairly close for classical and jazz in the surround mode. Of course the phones can't begin to match the slam of the sub.

So it's a case of looking at the situation and picking the best of the alternatives.

hehe I figured as much. Ah well it should be a fun adventure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back