Are Head-Fiers Speaker-dumb?
Jan 10, 2006 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been noticing for the longest time, that people have come onto the speaker section of these forums and asked nothing but how to obtain great speakers at incredibly unrealistic prices.

This is a forum which advocates high fidelity audio. If you simply want something that will make noise that will fill a room, then a cheap mini system from radio shack would accomplish what everybody here seems to want and need without wasting 100+ dollars on a speaker system with insignificant changes.

And then there are those folks who are telling people to buy Logitech computer speaker systems to hook up to their sources... a bad idea! Especially if that source happens to be an iPod - volume control on external source devices can damage the self-powering amp inside of these speakers' sub units.

But I just don't understand the general mentality of Head-Fiers when it comes to speakers. Do people really expect to be able to hear ANYTHING decent from a pair of $100 paradigm or athena speakers? They don't produce a full range - and what range they do produce is produced with minimal detail, and incredible amounts of flabbiness. I understand that people don't want to spend thousands of dollars, but why don't people at least save up for a little while and buy something that will last them for more than one year? Five hundred dollars opens up the possibilities quite wide... eight hundred dollars will secure you in a purchase that will last you your whole life. Buying speakers, just like any high-end headphone equipment, is an investment. It should last the user a long time, and it should be worthy of resale. A cheap pair of computer speakers, and even the low-end athena speakers, will not get a user anywhere. And these cheaply-built and cheaply-engineered products are likely to die on your or lack in some dire area according to your own tastes.

My suggestion to all head-fiers who want to buy a budget speaker system that actually sounds good: Save your money! Speakers are a much more realistic portrayal of sound over headphones, and if people here can easily justify spending $500 on headphones, then it should be even easier for somebody to justify spending $500 on speakers. Does anybody think similarly to me here, or at least find this tendancy to be slightly odd?

Jan 10, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 105
I think this is because headfiers are primarily interested in headphones first and speakers second. I think that it is very very difficult to allocate funds between two hobbies (no matter how similar), thus, you see a "willingness" to allow for a mediocre speaker setup even though one owes over $1000 in headphone equipment.

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 105
Fluance speakers are great for the price, and I never see them mentioned here. I'm pretty sure it's just a case of mismatched questions, and the fact that it appears most of the speaker experienced Head-Fi'ers don't really come here much. Lots of people in the Headphones section apparently have very good speaker systems as well, judging by recent polls, but I haven't seen any post here regarding good values.

It could also be that people don't really "get" good value here. Head-Fi is sort of a shrine to the more-than-necessary in a lot of ways (and not necessarily in a bad way, either), and budget options don't enter in to many minds.

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
I think this is because headfiers are primarily interested in headphones first and speakers second. I think that it is very very difficult to allocate funds between two hobbies (no matter how similar), thus, you see a "willingness" to allow for a mediocre speaker setup even though one owes over $1000 in headphone equipment.

Wow, that's a big debt for headphones, Joey
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 105
Hear Hear! Preach it my speaker bretheren!
biggrin.gif

I've pretty much given up on the speaker forum because of the shear idiocy of the whole situation. People are willing to spend a couple grand on their headphone setups but when they want some good speakers they only want to spend a couple bills. Sick. Don't even bother asking if you don't even have the will power to save LESS THAN A GRAND.

I've given recomendations for good speakers that don't cost a fortune in several threads only to be overshadowed by a myriad of posters recomending the questioner go buy a pair of computer speakers. Computer speakers?! And don't get me started on the t-amp! Yea it sounds ok, but audiophile it ain't.

Come on guys. Get real. This is an AUDIOPHILE site.

</rant>

-Jeremy

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V

I can understand that they might be more interested in headphones, but with that also comes the love of quality sound reproduction. I would think that would follow to speakers.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 105
I would buy good speakers over headphones if only I had the space. I bought my $100 Athena speakers because I'm probably going to have to leave them behind when I move into a cramped dorm. I like my "cheap" speaker equipment because it's all I can manage at the moment. I can spend the grand or so that I've spent on headphone related equipment because I can move it everywhere I go. Speakers are a little more difficult to transport.

But generally, I don't understand why people like less expensive speakers. Maybe they're just starting to look into speakers? I think a lot of other Head-Fiers are in a similar situation to me though. We choose headphones over speakers because of pragmatic reasons. Speakers are just a bonus, but they're not our primary listening equipment.

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcapurro

But this is also a very friendly site for the most part. It's the reason i keep coming back here.

I was once a "computer speakers" person because i couldn't afford better and want to enjoy music immediately. When i didn't have speakers, i didn't want to spend half the year saving with no speakers, so i just bought a decent used pair of computer speakers till i managed to save enough. I think they just need something while in transition. Everyone starts somewhere; including us.

What's the point of getting irritated with these posts? You can choose to give advise or simply ignore it. I'm extremely grateful for the great advise i've received here. It has saved me a lot of money.

Najib

Jan 10, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
Wow, that's a big debt for headphones, Joey
wink.gif

Oops.. I meant "owns $1000 in headphone equipment".. oops!
eggosmile.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcapurro
Hear Hear! Preach it my speaker bretheren!
biggrin.gif

I've pretty much given up on the speaker forum because of the shear idiocy of the whole situation. People are willing to spend a couple grand on their headphone setups but when they want some good speakers they only want to spend a couple bills. Sick. Don't even bother asking if you don't even have the will power to save LESS THAN A GRAND.

-Jeremy

I don't spend much time in this part of the forum because it isn't very useful when it comes to speakers. If I want to read about speakers I'll head over to avsforum, htf, etc. I think most anyone else that is really serious about speakers would be looking elsewhere too.

I would also be very surprised if anyone who really does own thousands in headphone gear would come in here asking about $200 speakers. I'd bet it's more the people who got started in headphones because it's cheaper but have decided they want speakers as well.

There are always exceptions of course but thats my general thoughts on the subject.

Jan 10, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
And then there are those folks who are telling people to buy Logitech computer speaker systems to hook up to their sources... a bad idea! Especially if that source happens to be an iPod - volume control on external source devices can damage the self-powering amp inside of these speakers' sub units.

You're talking nonsense. This isn't even remotely true.

Jan 10, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
You're talking nonsense. This isn't even remotely true.

What proof have you?

From personal experience, I KNOW many of the amps inside of computer speakers die if they are constantly controlled by an outside volume control device.

Jan 10, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 105
Agreed on quite a few of those points. There are some decent budget speakers out there, hell, I've got a pair of them on my desk. But, if you want the most out of a system, save your freakin' dough! Another point is not to overspend. There are speakers out there that are better at a lower price point than other speakers.

Now, is it harder for headphone lovers to buy a pair of speakers given that headphones will beat speakers at about any same price-point? I don't know, and I'm not even sure about the latter part of that sentence. Each have their own factors and are, in a sense, two completely different things. Amps with speakers is a different playground than with headphones in many respects, and in some similar. When it comes to speakers, driver size, driver placement and driver materials are a huge part. In headphones, the drivers arent looked at as critically. Sure, headphones share on some of those points, but there's not as huge of a focus on things like cabinet size in headphones.

Personally, I bouted between an interest in speakers and headphones, and speakers won out for me. As I said, two different playing fields.

Jan 10, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 105
Excuse my ignorance but I always assumed the way soundcards increased volume (via the volume slider) was to increase power output to the lines. Wouldent this be the same thing an ipod connected to computer speakers does?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back