Are HD580s and 600s really high end phones?
Sep 7, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
but there is a high-er-end, like the W2002

You almost made me take out my flamethrower on that one.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, just because the HD580's/600's are cheaper than other headphones, doesn't mean a darn thing. They, paired with the Blockhead, are considered by some to be the best dynamic headphones there are. They are extremely high end, even in my mind.

Sep 7, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #17 of 21
"High end" to me doesn't necessarily imply high price, although there's often a general correlation. For example, the ART DI/O is an external DAC recognized to sound better (even unmodified) than many DACS that cost thousands just five or so years ago, yet it costs around $100.

Given that, I agree that a headphone should be judged absolutely independently of its price. This may be difficult to do, since such things as looks and build quality (which often correlate more directly with price than SQ does) tend to influence our feelings about what's "high end" and what isn't -- it may be difficult or impossible to keep from admitting price as a factor, although I think this is what we should aim to do.

Personally, I'm all for dispensing with terms like "high end," "mid-fi" and such (although I doubt it will ever happen). The "status symbol" aspect of audio, the good feeling that comes from owning a really expensive headphone, probably will never go away -- and there's really nothing wrong with it, and no reason why it should go away.

Ultimately, I think "high end" is subjective and relies on each person's opinions, definitions and experiences. To someone used to the freebie cans that come with PCDP's, a Koss Portapro would definitely be "high end" sound. To an owner of a Sony R10, the Portapro would likely seem like a complete piece of junk.

Sep 7, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 21
i wonder what the blockhead does to the portapros
biggrin.gif

so yes, the HD600 can be high end.
but most of us don't have the $$$ to make them high end..

fewtch,
that's a MODDED art di/o, not stock, which can compare with the mucho grandos DACs.

Sep 8, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

This is a highly flamable thread starter HIGH OCTANE stuff There's a whole colony of HD600 worshippers in this community.

I worship my HD580 too you know. I am not trying to piss anybody off. I was just having headphone insecurity. Is the cable upgrade helpful to the 580's too or is it only worth to the 600's?

Sep 8, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #20 of 21
I enjoyed my HD580 w/Cardas better than the HD600 w/stock cable. However, I enjoy the HD600 even better with the Cardas!
600smile.gif

Sep 8, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
i wonder what the blockhead does to the portapros
biggrin.gif

so yes, the HD600 can be high end.
but most of us don't have the $$$ to make them high end..

fewtch,
that's a MODDED art di/o, not stock, which can compare with the mucho grandos DACs.

Fwiw (maybe nothing), Steve Rochlin disagrees with you.

"Therefore all my impressions are with a stock unit with the exception of a better power supply (stock unit is only 1,300mA by the way, so my using a 3,000mA unit is definitely an upgrade)."

"Regardless, the performance offered up by the DI/O is simply better than some $3,000 DACs that were available only five years ago (...)"

P.S. I'm sure the Blockhead would improve even the Portapro
biggrin.gif
... sources always come first. I doubt anything could get the heavy mud out of that bass, tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back