Are grado's really that uncomfortable?
Sep 6, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #76 of 98
We speak of that Grado sound.

We can also speak of that Grado fit.

There are the immediate lovers and haters. There are also the acclimatisers. I find the SR325is just fine now. My ears look the same too.... maybe there's more keratin on the parts of my ear that come in contact with the plastic covers of the drivers.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #77 of 98
We can also speak of that "Grado look".

I am simply in love with my silver SR-325is's. I'd be hard-pressed to find another sexier, more-refined-looking set of cans. Not that I'd be comfortable wearing them out in public. I'm sure I'd get jealous with everyone drooling over this skull candy!
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #78 of 98
They are ok, not the best for comfort (RS-1). I like over the ear design more. You can easily adjust how much pressure there will be on your ears, but regardless, the pads start to itch after a while.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #79 of 98
Switched to flats on SR80 and they are ok - not quite as comfortable as say my HD595. Really didn't like them at first as they were really uncomfortable with the bowls, but have gotten to appreciate them increasingly over the years.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #80 of 98
i washed the pads, got the dt770 headband, and bent out the headband some. this has all helped and i can wear the phones for longer. having the driver pressed right on my ear is what causes the most pain i think, maybe i could bend the headband a little more to relieve more pressure. i am used to phones which have thick enough pads to keep the driver off my ear, so i think i just need to get used to this new design. the superior sound is worth it. there are always trade-offs.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #82 of 98
After retaining the comfies on the MS-1s, I've decided that I will try to live with the bowls on the 325is, but I will also give the HD414 pads a shot. After the ES7 and my Ultrasones, I've come to accept that sometimes it worth a little discomfort if the sound is good enough. Next stop will probably be the Beyer DT440, and they arent known for their comfort - no pain, no gain.
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #84 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We can also speak of that "Grado look".

I am simply in love with my silver SR-325is's. I'd be hard-pressed to find another sexier, more-refined-looking set of cans. Not that I'd be comfortable wearing them out in public. I'm sure I'd get jealous with everyone drooling over this skull candy!
tongue_smile.gif

Damn straight. My 325i goldies could only get blingier if I applied a bedazzler to the headband. And I wear my SR80s while walking around town all the time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #85 of 98
I have some plastic extensions on my MS-1i and bowls. The extensions move the grill off my outer ear, and the bowls fit around my ears. (See the MS-100 link in my sig.) Very comformtable for hours at a time.

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #86 of 98
Since I got Grado's some time after using Headphones, I tried to fit them like my full circumaural fit cans. In so doing, I used to wear my Grados with the intention to make the bowls surround my ear. While succeeding in doing that, I also succeeded in having the driver grill resting on my ear.

In another thread, someone suggested that this was incorrect and that the correct fit involves moving the Grado's a little forward and down so that the outer border of the bowl rests on the outer and upper border of your pinna.

In this way, the grill never really rests on your ear. There is improved bass response, a pleasant reduction in the forwardness and improved comfort.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #87 of 98
At first I would only be able to wear them for 2 or three songs, but I kept wearing them until the flat ear pads softened up.

I couldn't be any happier with them now and I can wear them for long listening sessions. I also consider them more comfortable then the senn 595s I used to have (and the 555s I'm currently borrowing.)

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #88 of 98
I've got the Alessandro MS-1i's and find them pretty comfortable. I was expecting them to feel like a brick was on my head since many people find them very uncomfortable. Since I've gotten them the Sen414 Pads were reversed and quarterd, plus a Beyer DT770 headband was ordered for added comfort, I sit at the PC a lot, either for work or hanging with friends and chatting. No complaints at all. I suppose unmodded some may find the headband weird at first, but in all honesty I didn't even notice it on my head. I think most will find the look of them to be uncomfortable but hey ya cant judge a book by its cover right?

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #89 of 98
I wonder if the comfort issue is related to how soft or rigid your ears are. I find the rs-1s perfectly comfortable, but I apparently I have very soft/flexible ears.
Also I find the rs1 a lot more comfortable than the gs-1000. The gs-1000 pads kind of scratched my face, but the rs-1s don't feel rough on my ears at all.

Sep 17, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #90 of 98
My experience with my SR225i, is that the bowls weren't all that comfortable at all.

I had originally bought the G-Cush with my cans, with the intention of turning the supra- to circa on the SR225.

However, there is a reason that they don't ship with those cushions. It ruined the acoustics, and the distance of the drivers from the ears basically defeated the purpose of owning grados.

I tried everything with the stock cushions, shampoo, soap and cream, but couldn't enjoy the sound with the feel of the cans on my ears. plus eventually, they got soft, and the drivers started to touch my ears if not carefully placed over my ears. very irritating.

so i went with the "reverse quarter mod" 414 pads. This is how i currently have my Grados, though i'm on the lookout for a better option.
right now, the 414 pads have the best compromise between comfort, and driver distance. Still, my limit is about 2-3 hours, before i can't stand them any more.

My dream is to find some circ-adapting cushions for my grados, which do not distance the drivers too far from the ears... something like a k701 fit.

jeubow, What exactly are those? and where did you get them?

edit: i found headphile v9 SR C-pads. not available anymore... is there anything else out there like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back