Are grado's really that uncomfortable?
Dec 20, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #46 of 98
Grados are about as comfortable as any other supra-aural headphones, it's not an issue unique to Grado as a company. Really though, how comfortable they are depends entirely on you. I personally find them very uncomfortable. My ears, though not unusually large, stick out a bit more than the average person's. Due to this, I have to take off my Grados after listening for 20-30 minutes to let my ears recover, and of course after the break I can only listen for about 15 minutes before I call it quits. My Grados do sound fantastic, but I don't find myself turning to them as often as my Beyers with their luxurious and velvety circumaural pads.

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #49 of 98
I'm wearing a pair of RS-1's right now, and they are not too bad. In comparison to my 650's, 880's, or 701's, they are not as comfortable. But we are talking apples and oranges, circumaural vs. on ear. Big difference. With that said, and these are brand new (I've also owned 225's and 325i's), they are not that bad.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:44 AM Post #50 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's fine. But the Grado headphones in a fresh from box state have their drivers remarkably close to each other. If you like the pinching, then sure.

My statement was more about saying how these things can be made to feel comfortable, and that one shouldn't just try them on and instantly declare they aren't.

Agreed...

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #51 of 98
I just got a pair of RS-1's in yesterday and find them many times more comfortable then HD650s a friend and lent me this past month. (neither pair had been adjusted) The Grado's sit so light on the ears i barely know they're there!

(as an aside... $35 for flat pads? OMG!)

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #52 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMightyMilkMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(as an aside... $35 for flat pads? OMG!)

Mr. Grado is racking it in.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #53 of 98
I didn't find it so uncomfortable so that it prevented me from using it. It's not the most comfortable phones out there but it's not too horrible either.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #54 of 98
My Grado SR80s are the most comfortable headphones I own. I dont know where this idea of them being awkward comes from? The rest upon my head with almost no weight, after 10 minutes or so I often forget there on my head, (have tried to turn my head on a pillow only to remember I have on full sized headphones.)
Kevin

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #55 of 98
when I had the new SR225 and then MS-Pro, I found them very uncomfortable but only 1 week then they was the most comfortable headphones what I have ever had. Strange thing is that size of headphone bridge by SR225 was ok and MS-Pro has to much big headphone bridge, I have normal head, what do you think Grado owners is it normal? It is quite sad findings/discovery for me
frown.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #56 of 98
I heard bending the head band sort of helps eliminating some of that uncomfortness. I haven't tried it myself so I can't how much it would help.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #57 of 98
good morning, all.

i am the proud owner of a new pair of rs1i. the sound is just stunning. i'm not going to give them up.

unfortunately, i find them unbearably uncomfortable; after about an hour my ears are numb and i just have to stop listening.
frown.gif

fortunately, after reading this thread, i am understanding this to be a "break in" issue, as well... which all grado products seem to require.
wink.gif

i have taken the foam pads and washed them with lukewarm water and soap, and will do that a few times to see how it goes. my head must be smaller than average because, even with the strap as tight as it will go, there is still some empty space, causing the cans to sag on my ears. i've contacted beyer about ordering the dt770 headband, and look forward to those results. hopefully i'll be able to wear them for 10 hours like one of the previous members mentioned!

i'll let you all know how it goes. many thanks for your input, what a great forum! i've also just purchased the ra-1 from a fellow head-fi'er.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #58 of 98
The RS1i's are great.
Generally for me Grados are just as comfortable as Sennheisers or Ultrasone or AKG or Denon.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #59 of 98
Grado's are ridiculously uncomfortable for me, which is a shame really. I love wearing my HD600 and my ATH-A900. Audio Technica and Denon headphones particularly seem to known for their comfort, and I can say it is true in the former case as far as I know. The HD650 clamps a bit too hard IMO, and the AKG K701 isn't that great for long listening periods either.

I suppose I went bit further than your question!
redface.gif
Take from that what you will.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #60 of 98
Whether it is my SR80s or my K702s, I adjust them regularly during any listening session and I am used to that. If you are starting out any headphones will take a bit of getting used to. I cant see me getting in ear phones as I do not fancy pushing something into my ear. Apart from that, I dont really mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back